The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > My Boring Berliner Weisse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My Boring Berliner Weisse

I made a Berliner Weisse with 60% wheat 40% pilsner.

My process.
Mashed with hops at 146 for 2 hours. collected wort for a total of 4.5 gallons. Cooled to 120f then added 1/2lbs of grains.
Sealed in water cube and placed in water bath set at 116f . left for 4 days.
Results in a very tart wort. lovely. heated to pasturize.
Placed in fermenter with old saison cake of Belgian Saison III - WLP585
Fermented at around 70f

og 1.032
fg 1.008 after 3 days.
I feel it should come down some more.

I tasted a sample and it's kind of boring. I would describe as Budweiser of sours. I'm not expecting the depth and complexity of a true sour but something more.

How can I make this more interesting?
Is there something I should have done differently?
Tips for next batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brett it and forget it.
Or, boot it with some fruit?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I brett'd my last BW at bottling. Dried it out a bit and helped accentuate the crisp, lactic tartness.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to leave out fruit additions for this batch since I already bought some syrups to try out at serving time.

I don't have any cultures of brett but i do have a bottle of Orval and a bottle of Saison Rue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I brett'd my last BW at bottling. Dried it out a bit and helped accentuate the crisp, lactic tartness.
How low was your FG when you brett'd it?
What kind of bottles did your use? I only have standard 12oz brown cappable bottles. Not enough empty Belgian bottles to do the whole batch
How was your carbonation and how long did it take?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

I like to pitch brett and a clean ale yeast about 50/50 in primary.

I have bottled beer still with brett as high as 1.010, but that was with a beer with some less fermentable sugars. I'd feel pretty safe bottling a berliner with brett and no priming sugar in 'standard' 12 oz bottles at 1.006.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing_on_the_Internet View Post

How low was your FG when you brett'd it?
What kind of bottles did your use? I only have standard 12oz brown cappable bottles. Not enough empty Belgian bottles to do the whole batch
How was your carbonation and how long did it take?
My FG wasn't super low when I bottled this batch, I believe it was down to 1.006. I was targeting 3.5 volumes with the assumption that the brett might take it down to 1.003-1.005 over a few months. It carbed slowly and after a few months it poured with a big frothy head that very quickly subsided to small effervescent bubbles. I just used a mix of larger format bottles and standard 12 oz brown bottles.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
My FG wasn't super low when I bottled this batch, I believe it was down to 1.006. I was targeting 3.5 volumes with the assumption that the brett might take it down to 1.003-1.005 over a few months. It carbed slowly and after a few months it poured with a big frothy head that very quickly subsided to small effervescent bubbles. I just used a mix of larger format bottles and standard 12 oz brown bottles.
Did you add enough priming sugar for 2 volumes? I might be a little nervous about that, but my beriner always finishes 1.000 - .998.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Brewing_on_the_Internet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the Saison yeast will bring it below 1.006 since the wort is very fermentable unless the acidity is inhibiting it. I'm going to wait for a few more days and see where it end up.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Did you add enough priming sugar for 2 volumes? I might be a little nervous about that, but my beriner always finishes 1.000 - .998.
This particular batch was 'standard' using the Wyeast 3191 PC blend and I let it sit for awhile (7-8 months maybe?) so I was fairly confident the gravity wasn't going anywhere that low. I don't recall how much priming sugar I used, but it wasn't much and I recall doing a fair amount of napkin math before bottling. I may have given you a bottle actually

Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
TNGabe
Recipes 

Quote:
This particular batch was 'standard' using the Wyeast 3191 PC blend and I let it sit for awhile (7-8 months maybe?) so I was fairly confident the gravity wasn't going anywhere that low. I don't recall how much priming sugar I used, but it wasn't much and I recall doing a fair amount of napkin math before bottling. I may have given you a bottle actually
A 22 even! It's one of the couple I have left, I think just that and the spiced deviant.

I think the 4 day mash might have something to do with my berliner attenuation. Not suggesting you overcarbed.

Quick Reply