Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > My berliner weisse went sour....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
somedudefromguam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default My berliner weisse went sour....

So I guess I took too long to keg my Berliner Weisse. It has been close to 2 weeks in the primary, 5 gallons in a six gallon carboy... Now there is a white dusty pellicle forming, About 15 dime size patches . I soured the mash then boiled the wort, so the contamination is not from that. It is a low gravity brew, only about 3 percent strong. I only opened the carboy once to take a gravity reading, I am sure I sanitized my thief well enough that I didn't contaminate it then... It's probably from the large head space, I guess. I am not worried or upset, mostly I would like to have an idea of what this contamination might be.

Anyway..... I don't have the keg space, I guess I will just see what happens. I have a pound or two of black berries in the freezer from this summer, I might throw those in...

Anybody have any thoughts or input? Brew tastes great, I wish I could keg it right now..

pc090187.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Funny title…

Head space won’t cause an infection, something so quick suggests a good amount of whatever it is got in. What yeast did you pitch? How was it treated? Any change in flavor/aroma?

It is hard to tell from a picture what the microbe is. I’d guess lactic acid bacteria given the speed and lack of the dustier appearance of Brett.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
joespub
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I've had some similar specs floating although maybe a little smaller in size and it didn't affect the beer taste. I also used a 6 gallon carboy and it had a good bit of head room in it. I switched to 5 gallon carboys for the secondary fermentation and haven't seen it since. So it could be head space. You could also use Co2 to blow out bacteria infested air before putting the airlock on.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespub View Post
So it could be head space. You could also use Co2 to blow out bacteria infested air before putting the airlock on.
Like Oldsock said, large headspace does not cause infection.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What yeast did you use? WL Beliner blend contains lacto, and WYeast's blend contains lacto and a brett strain.

It might not hurt to run the wine thief through a high-heat dishwasher cycle. It may not have been the source of the infection, but if it's plastic it could infect subsequent brews.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

I can't find the pic now but my Berliner Weiss had a pellicle covering almost the entire surface after 3 months in primary. I cultured the dregs from Crooked Stave's Le Petit Sour, which supposedly has lacto, pedio, and Brett.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

@ oldsock- I split the batch in half and in one carboy, I used Cali yeast in one, the other- WLP530 Abbey ale which became infected. Everything fermented normal, I meant to keg after a week, but didn't have an empty keg until the contamination. The abbey was much more sour tasting (before the contamination), I contributed this to the difference in final gravities- the abbey was 2 points lower. They both had the same sour taste, just the abbey was more intense. I wonder if this is caused by different esters produced by the yeast along with the differences in FG, or if the abbey carboy was contaminated from the beginning and developed the more sour flavor before growing a pellicle....

Well, I pasteurized the berries and in they went. I don't know what I am doing yet, or what to expect. I think I am just going to let it sit for a while, watch the pellicle grow. Might drink it this summer, if it does not turn into vinegar.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorygilmore View Post
What yeast did you use? WL Beliner blend contains lacto, and WYeast's blend contains lacto and a brett strain.
The OP said he did a sour mash. Yeast strain choice is not the issue here.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply