Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Moving Sour Beer - Moving?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
kinkothecarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan City & Shanghai
Posts: 205
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moving Sour Beer - Moving?

I have a lease which is for only a year, and I'm planning on moving in after its done (I'm six months in). So, this means I'll be moving in six months. However, I really love sour beer - especially things like Monk's Cafe Sour and Supplication (these aren't in the same league, but they've got the same subtle sour-ness level I think - although Supplication's is brilliantly layered). I hate New Belgium's La Folie because it's too sour and unbalanced (thoughtless?), but some of their less sour beers are really nice. Anyway, I wanted to do a blended sour red, so I was planning on two five gallon batches. I would ferment and sour them, blend them, keg half, and brew another batch for blending with the part I didn't keg. I hope to always have an old batch with a new batch being blended.

I suppose my real question is how hard is this stuff to actually physically move to another location? Can I just jostle around a carboy? It'll be in the same town, but it'll be moving along an old brick road.

__________________
kinkothecarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 593
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkothecarp View Post
I have a lease which is for only a year, and I'm planning on moving in after its done (I'm six months in). So, this means I'll be moving in six months. However, I really love sour beer - especially things like Monk's Cafe Sour and Supplication (these aren't in the same league, but they've got the same subtle sour-ness level I think - although Supplication's is brilliantly layered). I hate New Belgium's La Folie because it's too sour and unbalanced (thoughtless?), but some of their less sour beers are really nice. Anyway, I wanted to do a blended sour red, so I was planning on two five gallon batches. I would ferment and sour them, blend them, keg half, and brew another batch for blending with the part I didn't keg. I hope to always have an old batch with a new batch being blended.

I suppose my real question is how hard is this stuff to actually physically move to another location? Can I just jostle around a carboy? It'll be in the same town, but it'll be moving along an old brick road.
This topic has come up in the past, and is actually the reason i've put off buying a barrel. Jostling around carboy is not a good idea. Since you keg, your best bet is to transfer everything to kegs before you move. You can still blend/age in kegs.
__________________

I brew lots of beer.

Gritsak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
WineIsRed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Yes I've seen this come up, but I've never seen a very good explanation as to why. All I've seen is some mention of the risk of oxidation – which seems to me very easily avoided.

Is there another reason for not moving carboys? Is stirring up the trub an issue? Maybe disturbing the pellicle is a problem?

I may be in a similar situation soon...

__________________
WineIsRed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
deputyandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ambler, Pennsylvania
Posts: 94
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Moving a full carboy, especially a glass one, is pretty cumbersome. I believe it is possible to move a carboy without seriously affecting the beer (i've actually read that SOME oxygen is helpful to the souring process, although in very small amounts). I think people don't move carboys in general is because it's cumbersome, and the oxidation/chance of breaking or damaging the carboy is too high. Especially if you have some long-fermenting beer in their like a sour, it'd be a heartbreaker to have to drain it.

__________________
deputyandy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 593
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyandy View Post
Moving a full carboy, especially a glass one, is pretty cumbersome. I believe it is possible to move a carboy without seriously affecting the beer (i've actually read that SOME oxygen is helpful to the souring process, although in very small amounts). I think people don't move carboys in general is because it's cumbersome, and the oxidation/chance of breaking or damaging the carboy is too high. Especially if you have some long-fermenting beer in their like a sour, it'd be a heartbreaker to have to drain it.
A low level, slow transfer of oxygen, e.g. the amount a wooden barrel provides, is considered beneficial. A carboy sloshing around in the back of a vehicle is another story. With a keg you can purge with co2 and provide an oxygen free environment while moving.
__________________

I brew lots of beer.

Gritsak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 256
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkothecarp View Post
.... I hate New Belgium's La Folie because it's too sour and unbalanced (thoughtless?)...
I suppose my real question is how hard is this stuff to actually physically move to another location? Can I just jostle around a carboy? It'll be in the same town, but it'll be moving along an old brick road.
OUCH on calling La Folie thoughtless. I personally like the very acetic character and find La Folie very good. I do live less than an hour from New Belgium and notice that it changes throughout the year when it is on tap. I guess it depends on the foudres/barrels that are in the mix.

By jostling around the carboys you will probably introduce some O2 into the mix. If you have acetobacter in your beer, it will turn to vinegar (a la La Folie). +1 to Gritsak You could purge the carboys with CO2 right before moving them and that might reduce the vinegar taste.
__________________
weremichael is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
kinkothecarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan City & Shanghai
Posts: 205
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

So, could I in theory brew a Flanders recipe, pitch Roeslare into it (WYeast 3763), let it ferment for seven days in a carboy, move it to my keg and then seal it, purge it, and let it be for a year or two? Is it that easy? Of course, I would be moving it during this year, but it'd be in a sealed keg.

__________________
kinkothecarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 593
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkothecarp View Post
So, could I in theory brew a Flanders recipe, pitch Roeslare into it (WYeast 3763), let it ferment for seven days in a carboy, move it to my keg and then seal it, purge it, and let it be for a year or two? Is it that easy? Of course, I would be moving it during this year, but it'd be in a sealed keg.

Yes that would work fine. Only adjustment i would make is to rig an airlock on the keg. When you need to move, remove the airlock, purge and seal the keg. Once you're at your new place, put the airlock back in place.
__________________

I brew lots of beer.

Gritsak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
stevehollx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
Only adjustment i would make is to rig an airlock on the keg.
That's key, since you still have about a ~20 point gravity drop on a sour after primary fermentation.
__________________
Drinking: Oaked Tripel * Strong Dark Belgian (100% Brett L & C) * Golden Raisin Abbey Ale * Fantome Printemps
Bulk Aging: Pale Sour * Consecration Clone * Flanders Red * Lambic Solera * Soured Tripel * KBS Clone
Next Up: Dark Fig Brandy Saison
stevehollx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,629
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
That's key, since you still have about a ~20 point gravity drop on a sour after primary fermentation.
...this heavily depends on what you're actually brewing.
__________________

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

dwarven_stout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Sour beer lovers to taste a sour mash beer OldRalHoleBrewing Lambic & Wild Brewing 12 09-03-2012 05:16 AM
Moving With Bretted Beer statseeker Lambic & Wild Brewing 8 01-04-2012 11:22 AM
Question about moving a Flanders red mid-aging Qhrumphf Lambic & Wild Brewing 1 08-26-2011 11:53 PM
Moving a Berliner Weisse to Secondary Morkintosh Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 05-23-2011 10:55 PM
moving lambic out of temp control twigboy2000 Lambic & Wild Brewing 2 02-03-2011 10:35 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS