The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > moving lambic out of temp control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
twigboy2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default moving lambic out of temp control

So I started a batch of lambic this past weekend using one of the SCY bugfarms. It looks like the sacch strains have blown through and the krausen is falling off.

I currently have it sitting in the fermentation freezer on temp control at 62F. I wanted to get opinions on when to move it to ambient. It's currently in the low 50's in my beer room in the garage.

Thanks,
-chuck

It's genius that borders on madness.
http://brewing.twigfu.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigboy2000 View Post
So I started a batch of lambic this past weekend using one of the SCY bugfarms. It looks like the sacch strains have blown through and the krausen is falling off.

I currently have it sitting in the fermentation freezer on temp control at 62F. I wanted to get opinions on when to move it to ambient. It's currently in the low 50's in my beer room in the garage.

Thanks,
-chuck
Everything I have read suggests letting the Lambic endure the typical temp swings of a cellar. I have had an Oud Bruin at cellar temp for over 1 1/2 years. The temp swings about 15-20 degrees throughout the year.

Edit: To answer your question. You can move it to wherever you plan on letting it age. AFAIK any esters created from a warm ferment should be consumed during the long secondary fermentation process by bacteria and wild yeast.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Once the sacc is through you can move it. A little warmer would be better but the bugs will still do their thing in the 50's it will just be a little slower. I keep mine between 60-70 but I have the room in the 'ol closet for them.

Proud supporter of Brett, Lacto, Pedio and all the other critters your brewing friends warn you about.
www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Quick Reply