Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Moving With Bretted Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Moving With Bretted Beer

Alright, my wife and I got a good deal on a place here. It's not far away from where we are now but I get concerned about moving and oxygenating a bretted beer. I have a bretted brown ale and a bretted saison. Both are aging in the primary. I havent racked off them yet. I probably wont in this case. I have a couple of options. 1. I can transport them in the primary very carefully and risk oxidizing them. 2. I can keg them and transport them under pressure and simply allow them to age at cellaring temps but this could kill the brett happiness for me. So needless to say I'm torn. I like the idea of easy transport. I hate the idea of no bretty happy flavor.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would move to a keg, pressurize, purge, move it, depressurize, take off the relief valve, jam in an airlock, and let it roll until your happy.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with rumblekittysparrowstork, that seems like your best bet.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Agree that a purged keg is the way to go. If you don't want to use an airlock you can just vent every once in a while or even better is to use a pressure relief valve. Might as let it carbonate while aging.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yea, I just wasn't sure about pressures effect on brett. I didn't want it to inhibit the maturation of the lil bugs (if possible) so I figured it'd be better to remove that variable.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I recently moved and had to deal with moving my bulk aging sours. I assumed that since they were sitting for a while that they didn't have much residual co2, so a few days before the move I added some concentrated wort to get some co2 production going again to protect against oxidation. This seemed to work out fine, but of course you need to have some available headspace in your containers.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
statseeker
Recipes 

Isnt there a possibility of changing an already good thing though? I just want it to continue to age as it is and do as little damage as possible to the flavor. Maybe I could add table sugar to prime it in the keg and then release that excess CO2 before the move. I think I have a plan.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
rorygilmore
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
Isnt there a possibility of changing an already good thing though? I just want it to continue to age as it is and do as little damage as possible to the flavor. Maybe I could add table sugar to prime it in the keg and then release that excess CO2 before the move. I think I have a plan.
I should've clarified in my post that I only meant to add a few gravity points. Both DME and table sugar would probably do the trick.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
statseeker
Recipes 

UPDATE: Well, I decided to just move them under pressure, then let the pressure out of the brown to let it finish its conditioning. The saison is at serving temp and pressure right now. Delicious as I could have asked for. I think the move was a success.

Quick Reply