Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Mash schedule for Flander's Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Default Mash schedule for Flander's Red

For anyone that has brewed a Flanders Red, what mash schedule do you use? I was trying to set up my recipe in Beersmith last night and became a little stumped with the mash schedule.

Jeff Sparrow calls for a triple infusion with cereal mash for the corn. It seems that he is using the boiling corn mash to reach one of the rests.

I can't really figure out how to set this up. Plus, my tun is only 5 gallons, so I can't do a triple infusion easily.

Is this mash very important? Jeff seems to be saying Flander's brewers like an infusion mash because it makes a very fermentable wort. That is opposed to a turbid mash in a lambic, which leaves behind a lot of starches. With the highly modified malts we have, its it that important to hit all of these rests? Also, since a fermentable wort is more desirable for a Flanders, could a decoction mash be used?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used Jamil's basic recipe for mine...

A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Flanders Red Ale

It has been in 9 months now, but I haven't tried it.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

why would a more fermentble wort be desired in a flanders? You still need a lot of long chain dextrins to support a 1yr+ fermentation.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sparrow also suggests a single step (From BYO in 2007 "I've been experimenting with a single step of about 158 °F (70 °C), to promote the formation of "unfermentable sugar" to make the yeast and bacteria work a little harder.") is probably sufficient.

You don't want to ferment too low on this one. You do want the bacteria to take its time.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
why would a more fermentble wort be desired in a flanders? You still need a lot of long chain dextrins to support a 1yr+ fermentation.
I'm going to have to go back and read the chapter again. I think you want to support more lacto growth than brett.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
peck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first time I made a Flanders I did a long, complex, labor intensive decoction mash. After that I did as below and it worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Sparrow also suggests a single step (From BYO in 2007 "I've been experimenting with a single step of about 158 °F (70 °C), to promote the formation of "unfermentable sugar" to make the yeast and bacteria work a little harder.") is probably sufficient.

You don't want to ferment too low on this one. You do want the bacteria to take its time.

Quick Reply