Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Malted vs Unmalted wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Malted vs Unmalted wheat

For brewing a Lambic (or any beer for that matter) what is the difference between using Malted wheat (and mashing) or Unmalted wheat (and mashing it with grains that can convert).

I'm thinking of mashing Malted Wheat and 2 Row (at a 1:2 ratio) unless you think that wont that good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Traditionally unmalted wheat was used in a turbid mash that converted some of the starches and left others gelatinized to create a complex wort to sustain the long mixed-fermentation. Malted wheat would not work, its starches are too easily converted and would yield easily fermentable sugars.

If you are planning to do a single infusion mash, there really won't be much of a difference between malted and unmalted wheat. Their flavors aren't exactly the same, but with the complex character of the fermentation it is probably not noticeable.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If using unmalted wheat, doing a protein rest would be a good idea.

1. Pils 2. Pils 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. IPA 3. IPA 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Dry Stout, Cali Common

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
brewbobaggins
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Traditionally unmalted wheat was used in a turbid mash that converted some of the starches and left others gelatinized to create a complex wort to sustain the long mixed-fermentation. Malted wheat would not work, its starches are too easily converted and would yield easily fermentable sugars.

If you are planning to do a single infusion mash, there really won't be much of a difference between malted and unmalted wheat. Their flavors aren't exactly the same, but with the complex character of the fermentation it is probably not noticeable.
In Wild Brews, Jeff Sparrow simplifies a turbid mash for the Lambic homebrewer scale by simply taking 10% of the grist (just 2-row and rice hulls) and along with all of the unmalted wheat and doing a rest at 145°F for 30 minutes then bringing it to a boil for 30 minutes (somewhere in pages 143-148, I do believe). That way the wheat can gelatinize. After that, you just pour that boiled mixture into the mash and mash around 158°F like normal.

Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbobaggins View Post
In Wild Brews, Jeff Sparrow simplifies a turbid mash for the Lambic homebrewer scale by simply taking 10% of the grist (just 2-row and rice hulls) and along with all of the unmalted wheat and doing a rest at 145°F for 30 minutes then bringing it to a boil for 30 minutes (somewhere in pages 143-148, I do believe). That way the wheat can gelatinize. After that, you just pour that boiled mixture into the mash and mash around 158°F like normal.
I've done the "WYeast mash" from Wild Brews a couple of times, with pretty mediocre results. It's really just a cereal mash, I don't see any advantage to it over a standard infusion mash with something like flaked wheat that is already gelated. I've had much better results with the full turbid. It really isn't that hard or long, espeically when you consider the time going into aging a sour beer.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
brewbobaggins
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

I've done the "WYeast mash" from Wild Brews a couple of times, with pretty mediocre results. It's really just a cereal mash, I don't see any advantage to it over a standard infusion mash with something like flaked wheat that is already gelated. I've had much better results with the full turbid. It really isn't that hard or long, espeically when you consider the time going into aging a sour beer.
Ah. That's good to know.

Check out my latest homebrewing thoughts, recipes, tastings, and happenings at Ten Bottle Brewing. Drinking, researching, and brewing just about every style, with an emphasis on the bacteria-laden variety. Enjoy and brew on!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Flaked white wheat works well as well. Unmalted, you can buy it at homebrew shops or even cheaper at Whole Foods

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Subscribed

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wheat can gelatinize at mash temps. It can take longer than an hour though. Milled into flower it can convert fairly well.

Quick Reply