New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Making new beer from an old beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
kaips1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36
Sign me up. I got a whole big ol' bucket of berlinner weiss that is just begging to be given a new life.
Hit it with a chunk of fruit and Brett and let it do its thing again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #22
kaips1
Recipes 

image-4204097601.jpg

First bottle of the unblended batch, it's not bad. Different, nice acidity. I think it will gain more complexity with time, I'm looking to see how it is at Xmas. Over all, success so far.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subbed. I've got three almost full kegs that were pulled out of my fridge during a recent move. They've been sitting in the garage under pressure for six months and I haven't had the heart to check them (much less dump). Maybe I should say F it and give them a potential new lease on life

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
Subbed. I've got three almost full kegs that were pulled out of my fridge during a recent move. They've been sitting in the garage under pressure for six months and I haven't had the heart to check them (much less dump). Maybe I should say F it and give them a potential new lease on life
Check them, if they haven't soured they may be fine. I they have soured and you enjoy sour beer, I say dose them with Brett to eat any by products and attenuate any sugars left. You won't be guaranteed any results but it could be awesome. I'm very amazed at how my experiment is turning out and I'd say the guy I got these kegs off of has no idea I took beer, he probably wrote off not long after brewing, since the kegs were almost full.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
kaips1
Recipes 

Did a side by side tasting of the unblended and blended batches, last week. Everyone was pleased with the tastes and aromas. The blended batch was obviously less acidic, both batches seem to be ready for some extended aging to really see how they turn out but so far this has been nothing but a success.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Would roselare need oxygen to do its thing? I put my bad beer into a better bottle with roselare two months ago with some raspberries. Theres a big nasty raft of raspberries and mold on top of the beer. I was wondering if i would be able to transfer the beer and yeast to a corny, hit it with co2 and let it ride.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
Would roselare need oxygen to do its thing? I put my bad beer into a better bottle with roselare two months ago with some raspberries. Theres a big nasty raft of raspberries and mold on top of the beer. I was wondering if i would be able to transfer the beer and yeast to a corny, hit it with co2 and let it ride.
Mold? Are you sure it's mold? If you have mold, that's bad news but may still be salvageable. If its just a pellicle, then you're safe. Roselare is a blend of yeasts and I think also lacto so o2 would help just a little. You need to taste it to determine what the next step is. What made it a "bad beer"?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Heres a couple pics of what it looks like. The raspberries just floated on top and thats a pic of the raspberry raft. Looks like mold. Maybe i'll try to get a taste

forumrunner_20130828_171908.jpg

forumrunner_20130828_171932.jpg

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #29
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
Heres a couple pics of what it looks like. The raspberries just floated on top and thats a pic of the raspberry raft. Looks like mold. Maybe i'll try to get a taste
That's not mold my friend, that's the pellicle. You see those bubbles trapped in there? Mold don't do bubbles let alone produce co2 like that thing is doing? How long did you say it's been with the roselare and raspberries? And what was wrong with it initially?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool, thanks for the help. The only problem was it had a funky peppery taste that i didnt care for too much. Its been on the raspberries and roselare since 7/7 so 7 weeks only. I'm figuring on it being on the yeast for close to a year, so i dont want vinegar. Figured a corny and co2 woukd be better for long term than a bb.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Quick Reply