New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Making new beer from an old beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
kaips1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Making new beer from an old beer.

So the story goes like this. I bought a couple cornie kegs off a guy and they still had beer in them, brown ales I'm pretty sure. Well I dumped the prettier of the two kegs the day I got them, the other less attractive keg I kept around with beer in it as a door stop. After having this door stop for about a year I decided to use it for a sour beer experiment, the idea came from something my friend did with his brothers infected batches. I dumped the beer from the keg into one of my bug buckets and it smells of lactic sourness and some malt. I added a house blend of sour dregs to it and 2 deseeded apples, then covered it with a bed of summit hops. After a month I added drie dregs and some second runnings from a hb batch. A week later I went to add more dregs and saw a nice pellicle. I let this ride for 4 months before I took a taste to see how it was going. Upon the taste I was advised that blending another beer like a blonde could help with the issues I noticed in the body. So after about 7 months total I brewed a blonde with the intentions of blending. On blend day my brewing partner and I did measured increments of both beers from 100% sour brown to 100%blonde with the 50/50 in the mix. The 50/50 blend was the winner by 3 different palates. So we blended 2.5 gallons of each into a bucket with the intention to meld for at least 3 wks before bottling. We bottled the remainder of the sour experiment by itself in heavy champagne bottles to 3 vols. with intention of waiting at least 6 months to open one. I don't expect it to peak till at least a year in the bottle and the same will go for the blended part to when it is bottled. I might take a gallon of the blend on bottle day and put it on blackberries and see how it goes. I know that it is said you can't make great beer from someone's else's bad beer, this is an experiment in playing with beer people think is bad. Plus this experiment has cost me maybe 10 to 15 bucks total and has been a blast.

image-4091654836.jpg

The first taste, the one that made the decision for a blend.

image-3933762677.jpg

The experimental batch and the blonde on the left.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
kaips1
Recipes 

image-2979750033.jpg
The experimental pellicle.

image-1355202502.jpg

Blending.

image-2824112361.jpg

Bottled unblended experimental and blonde ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 69

hahahah that... is amazeballs! May as well not waste beer

that pellicle looks effing disgusting though... i'd still drink it

Kegged Empty - Empty - Empty - Empty - Empty - Raspberry Chocolate Stout
Coming up 80 shilling - Schwarzbier - Bavaian Heff

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin
hahahah that... is amazeballs! May as well not waste beer

that pellicle looks effing disgusting though... i'd still drink it
Ya the pellicle is hardcore but it shows that the Brett is working and doing what I wanted it too. The samples from are pretty good, nice sour, I can't wait till its a yr in the bottle to really see how it turns out.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

subscribed

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyseth
subscribed
+1

Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
mikeysab
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This might be a good ide for a pair of bad batches that i've very slowly been drinking. So i'd just put them in a bucket and add some bottle dregs from a sour beer?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
This might be a good ide for a pair of bad batches that i've very slowly been drinking. So i'd just put them in a bucket and add some bottle dregs from a sour beer?
That's basically what I did, there's no guarantees that you will make something better than what you did but if you have the time and space I feel it's worth a shot. This was an extremely cheap experiment for me and I had the space and time. One question, what makes those batches "bad"? That's probably the determining factor on what you may get as an end result. Brett isn't a fix all but it is a game changer.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
mikeysab
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the problem was i used hallertau leaf hops that i think went bad in my freezer. I think the bag opened up and they got freezer burned or something. After the second bad batch, i checked out the hops and they didn't smell very good. Maybe i'll give this a shot and see if it helps at all.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
kaips1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
I think the problem was i used hallertau leaf hops that i think went bad in my freezer. I think the bag opened up and they got freezer burned or something. After the second bad batch, i checked out the hops and they didn't smell very good. Maybe i'll give this a shot and see if it helps at all.
If its potentially just the hops then I say hit it with some Brett and let it do its thing for like 6 months before you taste it or anything.

Quick Reply