Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Maintaining sour mash temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
rorygilmore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do a "sour worting" technique on a regular basis. I mash as normal, then cool to 120ish degrees and transfer the wort to my 5 gallon cooler along with 4 ounces of uncrushed grain, top-off with some seltzer water, then seal up the lid. 20-24 hours later, the temperature of the wort has fallen to 90-100 degrees and is moderately to aggressively sour. Then I boil as normal (or in the case of a "no-boil" Berliner Weisse, I briefly bring the wort to 200 degrees to kill off the bugs).

I don't think it's too essential to maintain 120 degrees... just try to keep it as warm as you can. A sour mash will work at even lower temperatures, it will just take a little bit longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

That makes sense. I think I will try the sour worting next time. First attempt, full sour mash. Current attempt, lacto starter.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I plan to do a sour mash and maintaining the temperature by putting a two gallon bucket full of mash into a larger plastic bucket with a food dehydrator placed on top of the larger bucket so that the warm air from the dehydrator blows down onto my mash bucket. I drilled some holes in the bottom of the larger bucket to accomodate proper airflow. I tested this with my 2 gallon bucket filled with 100 degree water, set the dehydrator to 125 degrees and let it go for 24 hours.
After the 24 hours my water was still 100 degrees, so I will give this method a try.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Turner5
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do sour worting as well. However, I drain my wort into a corny keg and purge it with CO2. I then stick my keg into my mash tun and fill it with water and stick an aquarium heater in the water. The mash tun lid won't close because the keg is too tall but I rest the lid on top and throw some towels over it. It maintains the temperature great.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
HopHoarder
Recipes 

The dehydrator thing worked (kept it at just over 100 deg). I'm now trying a 120v car battery warmer (80 watt with a 36" wrap). This thing heats up to 180 deg which of course is too hot, but I'm thinking would be a nice heat source for my 14qt pot of mash placed inside my 60qt kettle with the lid slightly off to let out some heat. Car battery warmer was 28.00 at Canadian Tire.

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder View Post
The dehydrator thing worked (kept it at just over 100 deg). I'm now trying a 120v car battery warmer (80 watt with a 36" wrap). This thing heats up to 180 deg which of course is too hot, but I'm thinking would be a nice heat source for my 14qt pot of mash placed inside my 60qt kettle with the lid slightly off to let out some heat. Car battery warmer was 28.00 at Canadian Tire.
You can always use it with a temp controller if you want to maintain a specific temp.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Quote:
You can always use it with a temp controller if you want to maintain a specific temp.
That's exactly what a homebrewer friend of mine said too. It's been nearly 24 hours hours now and my mash is getting really funky looking and sitting at just over 100 degrees, so it's all good. The car battery heater seems to be doing the trick.

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just going to use this thread instead of starting a new one... Does a sour mash lower the SG before you pitch Sacc?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz
Just going to use this thread instead of starting a new one... Does a sour mash lower the SG before you pitch Sacc?
Yes lacto will consume a portion of the fermentable sugars.

Quick Reply