The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Maintaining sour mash temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
sddanc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Maintaining sour mash temp

What are some tricks to maintaining my sour mash temp?

The only thing I can think of is using an electric blanket and to wrap it around the mash tun. . . but I am concerned that extended duration will be dangerous.

Ambient temperature range for my area is about 15F from Day-Night. I can't mash indoors.

If I use club soda to help drive out O2, how much should I use? Just enough to cover the top of the mash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I soured my wort in my kettle. Wrapped my FermWrap around it, wrapped blankets and a big winter coat around it and let it go for 2 days. It maintained 110-120 just fine. I did it in January when the ambient temp was much lower in my garage.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

What are some Pro's and Con's with full sour mash vs. souring the wort with grain in kettle?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 122

The major pro to me was being able to use my FermWrap to keep the temp up. The FermWrap would have had a much smaller affect on my cooler MLT.
The major con for tossing a pound (yes, I used a pound) of 2-row into the kettle was that I had to fish out a pound of 2-row from the kettle. About half of it sunk into the wort over the 2 days. I ended up boiling about a cup of grain as I was not able to get it all out and after 30 minutes of trying I just decided not to care. The Berliner Weisses that I made from that sour-wort were/are awesome. VERY tart. So, a pro to souring in your tun would be that you don't have the issue of grain in your boil.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Used a 5 gal contractor water cooler for my sour mash to maintain temps, and followed a method from Zymurgy magazine. For the sour starter I used a reptile heat stone in a small cooler. I describe the process here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/ber...ml#post3979714

Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Your process for a sour mash is a bit different than how I've been seeing. . . I admire it. I think I may do that as a second batch to compare results.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can't take credit for it, it came from the Zymurgy article, but the sour mash worked well for me on the 1 batch I tried it (and for my friend who's the VP of Education in our brew club - he's doing a demo of this method at the next club brew session. He's done it several times and it works consistently).

The advantage to this method is you can make the starter a week in advance if you want, so if it fails (smells like vomit instead of green apple), you can try again with another starter and you are not wasting much time or grain. I'd recommend using sterile wort (canned), so you know the only bugs in the starter are coming from the grain. Keep the starter warm (100) the whole time - I think that's important too. You only have to keep the full wort volume warm overnight after you add the starter to it - a cooler will do this pretty easily so you don't need to buy a heater wrap or anything.

Having said all that, I have switched over to using bugs (lacto, pedio, brett) to make sour beers, because I think the flavor is much better and more complex. Sour mashes can make some good beers, but not as good as using Roselare or sour beer bottle dregs and waiting a few months IMO. I'd probably sour mash again if I were to make a Berliner Weiss - the lacto finish you get from a sour mash would be perfect for the style, and you could knock one out in a couple weeks.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/alfe...weisse-255777/

I was trying to follow the process in the above link.

Quote:
I made a homemade Lactic starter which I think gave this beer the right flavor. Crush a cup of grains and add them to a Cup of Water at 130 degrees and put that combination into a jar for a starter.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
spearko520
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 210

don't use club soda- that has salt in it- use seltzer water.

"i like to drink. I do it all the time, every day."- anthony jeselnik

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Pardon my nescience. . . What will be the adverse effects, even after a full boil occurred?

Quick Reply