Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Low mash, lots of bugs, faster sour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I use champagne bottles with plastic corks with good success (no corker needed, just some muscle). The easiest ones to bottle that way are ones that beer came in, such as the Lindeman's products. Actual champagne/sparking wine bottles sometimes have smaller mouths and it takes some real pressure to shove those plastic corks in. I have some bottles that accept standard caps that I got from a HBS. They aren't as thick as regular champagne bottles though.You can also use the Belgian 750ml with plastic corks. Sometimes the mouths are too big and you won't get a good seal (and lose carbonation) but you can usually figure it out based on how easily the cork goes in. Belgian 330ml (the ones with bumpy necks) are also designed to withhold more pressure. So are weizen bottles. Either would probably be ok for your sours. Of course, if you have a corker that all may be a non-issue.

Another place to check for champagne bottles is restaurants that serve brunch. Mimosas are standard brunch beverages so busy places may go through a lot of bottles each week. Stopping by late in the brunch hours might yield enough bottles to package a full five gallon batch (you need approximately 25 750ml bottles).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can't do that in Texas, stupid TABC

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Guess42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

About the weizen bottles. Are these the 16oz bottles available at northern brewer or are specific weizens packaged in them?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess42 View Post
About the weizen bottles. Are these the 16oz bottles available at northern brewer or are specific weizens packaged in them?
I don't know how thick the ones they sell at homebrew stores but the ones you buy filled with any of the German weizen beers (hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, weizenbock, etc.) are thicker bottles.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_gamer View Post
You can't do that in Texas, stupid TABC
Yeah, I didn't think about that.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess42
Jolly Pumpkin also ferments their beers in primary to near dryness if memory serves. This leaves only a small amount of sugars for the mix. The beers also do most of their developing in bottles, wanted to try this, but buying that many champagne bottles could be expensive.

It was also mentioned in farmhouse ales that the saisons were held in barrels for up to a year or more before being served, making them close to lambics. ( I believe per Yvan de Baets, sp?).
If anybody has a reference on this, I'd be interested. I have taken possession of a bourbon barrel and plan on filling it by myself with multiple batches. The current plan is to start a pipeline and rack in 5-10 gallons at a time that has fermented 2-4 days in order to avoid dumping lots of sacch yeast into the barrel.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #17
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm I thought mashing low would just mean your Sach strain would plow through the wort too fast, leaving little behind for the Brett?

My next sour was going to be mashed warm (155-157F) with some Malto-Dextrin to give the buggies plenty to chew on that the Sach wouldn't touch. Is this a bad approach?

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did a saison that was mashed at 149 and dextrinized at 158. I split the batch between ECY03 and ECY20. The ECY03 was done in 2.5 months and the ECY20 appeared to be done around 5 months but then got sick in the bottle. The ECY20 as it was fermenting went down to 1.010 and then the pedio and brett fired up and began fermenting the beer. The sacch didn't take it down as far as the ECY03 sacch took it's wort.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply