Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Looking for tips on first sour beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
tonyolympia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default Looking for tips on first sour beer

I have some ECY01 (BugFarm) en route from New Jersey, and I'm in the process of putting together a recipe for my first sour ale. I'd appreciate any tips you folks can offer.

I envision this as something like a sour Southern English Brown. When it's ready, I plan to use a few bottles to inoculate the next sour beer, etc. etc.

My thinking in this has been influenced by Michael Tonsmire's "Brewing Sour Beers at Home" post:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...r-at-home.html

Here's what I'm planning:

1.045 OG

60% Maris Otter
15% Munich
10% Wheat
10% Crystal 80
3% Flaked Barley
2% Carafa Special II

16 IBU from EKGs at 60 minutes.

I know I'll need to mash high. Is 156F high enough? Does the OG and the proportions of wheat, crystal, etc. look right? Do you have any recommendations for fermentation temperature? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

looks good to me. as for fermentation temps it's not that different than any other beer; stable temps in the low to mid 70's work well.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have used ECY20 a couple of times, which I believe is the same as ECY01 at this point. That cocktail does a good job at fermentation. I've had no issues whatsoever. It takes off fast and fully attenuates. If you want to avoid a thin body, I wouldn't mash any lower than what you're targeting. Regarding fermentation temps, I would consider primary fermentation at typical ale temps, but I would do your long term aging in low 60s (61-63) to avoid letting acetobacter do its thing (I'm not a fan of acetic acid).

Another tip: try not to sample more often than is absolutely necessary. The pellicle that forms is a helpful oxygen barrier, and most of what you're doing with a sour is waiting...waiting...top off the airlock...waiting...waiting...[repeat]

Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks guys. Now I'm thinking about the IBUs. From what I understand, the Lacto will be somewhat inhibited by 16 IBU. Is that correct? How does pedio respond to IBUs? Will the sourness overall be more muted, favoring funk and other flavors?

Speaking generally, what bitterness levels in a sour do you think produce the best fermentation characteristics?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Thanks guys. Now I'm thinking about the IBUs. From what I understand, the Lacto will be somewhat inhibited by 16 IBU. Is that correct? How does pedio respond to IBUs? Will the sourness overall be more muted, favoring funk and other flavors?

Speaking generally, what bitterness levels in a sour do you think produce the best fermentation characteristics?
i bet you will be fine with 16 IBU.

Quick Reply