Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Long secondary lambic in a plastic bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
jamesmp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long secondary lambic in a plastic bucket?

I'm looking at making a lambic that would age for a year or more. It looks like they work best with very small amounts of oxygen and people suggest barrels or stopping them with an oak plug, but what about just placing them in a plastic bucket? They've got a reputation for being oxygen permeable and it'd be nice to have any separate equipment tied up for that long and dedicated to sours be the inexpensive variety.

Has anyone aged long term in plastic buckets? Any issues?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Plastic buckets are MUCH more oxygen permeable than lambic barrels, or homebrew-sized barrels for that matter. Using something like a Better Bottle or a carboy with a wooden stopper would be your best bets.

If you have any acetobacter in your beer, it will scavenge the oxygen and produce acetic acid. Desirable to a limited extent in the Flemish Beers, but not in lambics.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

+1, I age my lambics in better bottles. I do not trust a plastic bucket forr this application

Quick Reply