Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic/sour bottling ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not all bottles are the same when talking standard longnecks. Different glass weight will have an impact on bottle strength, well obviously. Weigh bottles though and you will see a difference between certain breweries, where they source their glass, and what they are bottling.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 238

well, i'm going to have to partially take back what i wrote. after a quick search here, seems there are plenty of people who have successfully primed to 3 vols in standard bottles. there were some stories of bombs, but far fewer than the success stories. there are some smart sounding people (like him saying keep it under 3 but seems like going to 3 is a safe bet.

personally, i have enough thick glass bottles stored up that when i want to go to 3 vols or over, i can do so without needing to use regular ("thin"?) glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Not all bottles are the same when talking standard longnecks. Different glass weight will have an impact on bottle strength, well obviously. Weigh bottles though and you will see a difference between certain breweries, where they source their glass, and what they are bottling.
interesting, didn't know that.

to check this out i weighed a bunch of bottles. here are their weights, in grams. name of brewery included when known/identifiable. these are single data points, i wouldn't extrapolate too much.
198 (New Belgium)
192 (Kalibur non-alc)
299 (Duvel)
220 (Hoogaaden)
176 (short like Sierra, thin collar)
195 (short like Sierra, thicker collar)
214 (Deschutes)
(average: 210.4 with the Duvel; 203.5 without it - i.e. "regular" 12 oz bottles)

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
AlphaWolf-Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently bottled a Frombiose after a year in the fermenter and another 5 months on wild raspberries.

See here for more - http://alphawolfbrewery.blogspot.com...framboise.html

My EBiab system -http://alphawolfbrewery.blogspot.com...irst-post.html

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
TimT
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Considering you used Roeselare blend, medium to medium high carbonation is closer to style. 1g of dried yeast is fine, there is no point in putting extra yeast in the bottles.

Quick Reply