Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic Primary vs Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #21
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post

Anyone used this yeast, can you describe the aroma after 6 months?
Yep. I brewed a lambic with it on July 7 and pulled a sample today, so almost exactly 6 months. I got a lot of fruity aroma. Something along the lines of peach, cherry, pineapple, and a very little funk. Also some citrusy smelling sourness in the nose, not vinegar tho. It tasted similar but not as strong as the aroma would suggest.

Sent from my LGL86C using Home Brew mobile app
Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I got none of those aromas. It isn't bad, just sour with a hit of vinegar. Will see in 6 months. If this goes south would be the first one that goes bad ... I'd be more upset for loosing the 4lbs of raspberries. I could have put them in a saison instead.

Oh well , we shall see.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I took the question to ask this (and I would also like to know):

what is the benefit/pros/cons/etc of racking the primary into a secondary? Why not just leave it in the primary as yeast autolysis is not a concern with sours as the bugs eat the dead yeast? Does racking it to a secondary stop a certain flavor or reaction from occurring? I have a 60 gallon solera innoculated with 3763 Roeselare that I intend to leave on the yeast cake for a solid year (then drain the yeast cake via conical dump valve, drain 15 gallons of beer and add 15 gallons of new beer along with a package of 3763 as an underpitch of fresh Sacc yeast).

Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
what is the benefit/pros/cons/etc of racking the primary into a secondary? Why not just leave it in the primary as yeast autolysis is not a concern with sours as the bugs eat the dead yeast? Does racking it to a secondary stop a certain flavor or reaction from occurring?
i don't have proof of this, but seems to me that trub = food for the bugs, so more trub = better fed bugs = more acidity. i imagine that the impact is more souring, but who knows how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
I have a 60 gallon solera innoculated with 3763 Roeselare that I intend to leave on the yeast cake for a solid year (then drain the yeast cake via conical dump valve, drain 15 gallons of beer and add 15 gallons of new beer along with a package of 3763 as an underpitch of fresh Sacc yeast).
i wouldn't bother pitching more Roeselare after a year. you won't need the bugs in the Roeselare since the year-old brew will have lots of them already. what you will need is more sacch, so why not pitch what you need. a single pouch of sacch for 15 new gallons is still a huge underpitch. i believe that the sacch in Roeselare is 3522 (Ardennes).

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #25
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So maybe 2 packs of 3522 would be a good annual pitch. I do want to underpitch but not too much (granted the initial pitch into the 60 gallons was only 6 smak packs of 3763 - it took almost 5 days to begin bubbling).

as for the secondary I am figuring a 6 gallon carboy with a 5 gallon batch in it and leave it alone for 6-12 months for most sour brews is a good formula. I'm up in the air about what to do if I plan on adding some cherry juice concentrate (68 brix) near the end - maybe just pour it in and see what happens.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #26
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i don't have proof of this, but seems to me that trub = food for the bugs, so more trub = better fed bugs = more acidity. i imagine that the impact is more souring, but who knows how much.
I think this is true. Look up Brewing Radio potcast, hope to point you into the right direction with that.

Quick Reply