Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic Primary vs Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
theQ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

before I pitch in the fruts should I taste the beer. What if tastes like vinegar, should I still put in the fruits ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Sorry ...... I meant to say lactic acid. I was just trying to explain to Q why a sour takes a long time and will continue to change over a couple of years.

You really don't want much acetic acid (vinegar), but want more of the softer lactic acid. Acetic acid is mainly produced by acetobacteria in the presence of O2, while lactic acid is the product of Lacto and pedio working on the sugars.

I disagree with the statement that Lacto acts quickly. It does if there is no alcohol or hops, but in the presence of both of those, it can be very slow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
I did a 5 gallon lambic in July and it's sitting in primary since then.

I scaled this recipe I got on my previous post to this forum

3.5 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs unmalted wheat
mash 150* for 60'
.5 oz herzbrucker hops at 60'
chill and pitch lambic blend.

More here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/newbie-411915/

While I understand why the secondary needs to take 5-6 months to ferment the fruits, what's the benefit of having a long primary for a lambic ? I tend to approach this logically but the conclusion is not working for me.

Thanks!
Q
Did you pitch the fruit with the yeast at day 1?

Lambics are tradionaly kept on the cake thruout primary wheras flanders styles are racked to secondarys.

Quote:
I disagree with the statement that Lacto acts quickly. It does if there is no alcohol or hops, but in the presence of both of those, it can be very slow.
There are multiple known strains of lacto, while most cannot there are a couple that can ferment in high alcohol/IBU solutions

Quote:
before I pitch in the fruts should I taste the beer. What if tastes like vinegar, should I still put in the fruits ?
If it tastes like vinegar unfortunetly, acetobactor has teken over and it will not be salvagable. It does make GREAT salad dressign though!!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Every time I do anything with any beer I take a gravity sample, and drink the sample. I normally use a turkey baster to get the sample. That way I know what is going on.

If it tastes like vinegar, it is gone.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't pitch the fruits yet. I will do that in 1-2 months! Do I move it to the secondary or just pitch the fruits into the primary. I did point I don't see a reason to rake into secondary since it pretty clear ?

I always taste my beers when transferring it to secondary or to the keg/bottles so this won't be an exception.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So I've tasted it. First impression was vinegar but after sampling it hmm it's sour with just a hint if vinegar.

I am adding the fruits, will this ferment again ? Aggressively, I have a 6.5galon, so I won't move it ?

I use different wine thief, I thought I heard these bugs are pretty mean and could infect the equipment, anyone cares to expand that thought ?

Thanks!
Q

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #16
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
So I've tasted it. First impression was vinegar but after sampling it hmm it's sour with just a hint if vinegar.

I am adding the fruits, will this ferment again ? Aggressively, I have a 6.5galon, so I won't move it ?

I use different wine thief, I thought I heard these bugs are pretty mean and could infect the equipment, anyone cares to expand that thought ?
Many, many years ago, when I first started brewing, l remember having a couple of batches that had 'just a hint of vinegar'. I bottled them thinking they would be ok .......... well, after a few of them, I realized I was just kidding myself. They were awful, and I ended up tossing the rest. These were not sours, just pale ales.

You might want to re-think about investing additional time and money into this. That vinegar flavor is not going to go away no matter what you do to the beer and it could be undrinkable. You might be better off just bottling what you have and start again.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #17
monkeybox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Many, many years ago, when I first started brewing, l remember having a couple of batches that had 'just a hint of vinegar'. I bottled them thinking they would be ok .......... well, after a few of them, I realized I was just kidding myself. They were awful, and I ended up tossing the rest.
I've taken the stance that one should never give up on beer. If your batch tastes bad, follow the process:
* Step 1: Chill the bottle for 48 hours.
* Step 2: Pour and taste.
* Step 3: If it still tastes bad, let it sit in the cellar for 30 more days.
* Step 4: Repeat until either (a) the beer tastes good, or (b) it's all gone.

Quote:
You might want to re-think about investing additional time and money into this.
Oh, but I do agree with this. Don't throw more money at it.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
jrfehon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What are you using as your fermenter? For aging sours you shouldn't use plastic buckets, they let too much oxygen in which will create that vinegar taste. However, I bottled a Flemish red a few months ago and it has a hint of vinegar in the flavor profile, which I really like.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #19
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use a carboy. Glass. I went ahead an added 4 lbs of frozen raspberries. Will update you all in 6 months. It's at 65f,in the basement.

I used the wyeast limbic, it was tight air wise, what could trigger the vinegar aroma?

Anyone used this yeast, can you describe the aroma after 6 months?

Then why would one want to toss 5 gallons of good vinegar - assuming that I would get that. Bottle it and give it to friends for salad.

BTW it did attenuate to almost 1.000

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #20
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I use WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix, it has all four of the strains for sour ales. As for waiting months in primary before racking onto fruit, I primary mine for a month and then rack it onto the fruit and the WLP655 where it will sit for at least a year. My first one was absolutely wonderful, not sour, but very tart. I rebrewed the exact same beer nearly 2 months ago and did it exactly the same way. I have another going right now that I'm using a different primary yeast on and will rack it onto Black Cherries near the end of this month that I expect to leave it for 18 months.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Apple Pie Cider
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: Amarillo Pale Ale
Keg #2: California Honey Amber
Keg #3: Amarillo IPA
Keg #4: Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Keg #5: Imperial Pumpkin
Keg #6: Imperial Pumpkin Collaboration
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Belgian Rye