New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic Aging in Oak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
jgardner6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lambic Aging in Oak

Has anyone ever aged a lambic in oak? How did you like it compared to a carboy, and did you add fruit in the barrel?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We did a Kreik on oak for a year. It's wonderful. I added cherry concentrate at month 5.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i don't add fruit in the barrel, but i do have a some oak projects. the sour beers from the barrel are much more sour than the ones in carboys and the sours in carboys are pretty darn sour to begin with! currenly only one of my barrels is soured, but the other will be in a matter of time.

i think these oaked sour/lambics will have to be backsweetened, blended or will just be puckeringly sour.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's all a matter of taste I suppose. I tasted a straight lambic at the NHC last year that was in oak for 4 years. Yes, I definitely lost some enamel off my teeth, but I didn't think it was bad at all. I think it's just like hops. SNPA is so freaking bitter and one day you think Stone IPA is just right. Granted, I do backsweeten my lambic at pour time about half the time.

Sour beers go more acidic in a barrel because Acetobactor works aerobically to make acetic acid (vinegar). Oak will take in a lot more O2 than a sealed carboy.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
rugman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I believe many many Belgium lambics are aged in oak

Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's all a matter of taste I suppose. I tasted a straight lambic at the NHC last year that was in oak for 4 years. Yes, I definitely lost some enamel off my teeth, but I didn't think it was bad at all. I think it's just like hops. SNPA is so freaking bitter and one day you think Stone IPA is just right. Granted, I do backsweeten my lambic at pour time about half the time.

Sour beers go more acidic in a barrel because Acetobactor works aerobically to make acetic acid (vinegar). Oak will take in a lot more O2 than a sealed carboy.
I wonder if the added sourness is a result of wood tannins being extracted or from the bugs being excited by the increased O2? Probably a little of both, I assume.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I think the single biggest thing you can do to improve sours is barrel aging them.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Jkane101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

What size barrels are you all using? I'm thinking about getting a 20L barrel, would a year be too long in such a small barrel?
Bobby do you get yours locally? I was thinking of contacting some NJ wineries to see if they have any small used ones they want to sell.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkane101 View Post
I was thinking of contacting some NJ wineries to see if they have any small used ones they want to sell.
i've looked all over and you're not gonna find any places in NJ that sells small barrels. while i haven't called to inquire from EVERY winery, every place that had them available were the standard 55 gal barrel for ~ $50. the most interesting place that had 'em was Applejacks and they sold them for $50 too if i remember correctly. 55 gal is way too big for me, though. esp since i have very few friends that would be able to contribute to such a large barrel.
http://www.lairdandcompany.com/index2.htm

i have a 5 gal and 3 gal barrel that i use, but each are a little larger than the stated size. the best place to get one is from Infidel in the classifieds section. It looks like it might be the last opportunity you have to get one from him so take advantage. they are REALLY nice and would definitely recommend one!!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/5-2-gallon-20l-whiskey-barrels-last-time-i-may-offer-90-s-h-178490/

oh, and yes one year would be way too long in a barrel that size. I think one month is comparible to 6 months in a smaller barrel due to surface area contact. On the same note, a barrel stripped of it's oak flavor might be okay for any amount of time since it won't be leaching the heavy oak flavor. 1 year in a 5 gal barrel is a lot in regard to the lost beer from angels share, though.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Last edited by jessup; 06-10-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply