Lacto temp swings okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it? My garage has been consistently 90-95 degrees for the last week. I brewed a Berliner Weisse Saturday, pitched the Wyeast Lactobacillus and let it rock in the garage for two days at a really consistent 90-95.

Well, the weather isn't cooperating today. It's 55 today and 65 in the garage. So my question is, does Lacto suffer from temp swings the way sacch does? I'm pretty sure the temps will go back up soon and I can wait as long as needed to let this stuff sour up.

Small temp swings for WLP677 are fine (10-15 degrees); not sure on the Wyeast. That is a pretty big dip. If reusing Lacto from bottle dregs is possible though, then you shouldn't have a problem n theory. It might take a few days to wake back up again.

Update: temp swings seem to have done nothing to harm the lacto - it soured up just fine.

Back