Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lactic acid SG, sour mash and ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Lactic acid SG, sour mash and ABV

So you see me coming with the title...

I'm sure most people take the after boil OG and the FG to calculate the ABV %, but my logic says to me that the formulas that are used in calculating the alcool consider that an OG of 1.xxx is water at 1.000, and the remaining being mainly sugar.

That said, after a sour mash, there's another content, lactic acid, that have I guess, a different SG than water and sugar, so the formula doesn't exactly apply, right?

Or is the error margin so small that we doesn't bother?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, it makes a difference. From what I understand, Lactic acid is heavier than water, so with the FG is actually higher for the amount of alcohol that is the beer.

For BW, I really don't take much notice of it. I make it a small beer (1.030-1.036) with the intent that it is more of an aperitif rather than a serious drink. I really do like a BW or other sour beer early in the evening, or with a meal.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Yes, it makes a difference. From what I understand, Lactic acid is heavier than water, so with the FG is actually higher for the amount of alcohol that is the beer.

For BW, I really don't take much notice of it. I make it a small beer (1.030-1.036) with the intent that it is more of an aperitif rather than a serious drink. I really do like a BW or other sour beer early in the evening, or with a meal.
Yhea.. I did a BW and didn't really care about the ABV.. I just did everything to keep it as low as possible. But I'm asking the question now because I'm thinking to do a higher gravity sour mash, like a 1050 Raspberry wheat or a 1065 pseudo Oud Bruin.

Quick Reply