La Folie Pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Hey Folks, for the first time I am trying to culture some sour bugs. I took the dregs of a 2010 NB La Folie sour brown and poured them into a small, very light starter solution. After just six days it looks like I have a pellicle forming. I've never brewed a sour, but from all the pictures of seen, Im 99% sure that is what this is.

What is the best way to keep upping the quantity of yeast to a pitchable amount? Should I wait for this pellicle fall and then pitch the whole jar into a larger starter jar? Any tips for this culture would be appreciated!

I was under the impression the bugs and been centrifuged out.
If not thats good new i have a case in my basement.

Any one have any info on this?

I'd heard the 22oz bottles we're pastuerized or filtered or something. Last time I had one I figured it was worth a shot to see if it was true and I didn't get any growth from it.

I'd hate to say it but I'd guess your pellicle is mold

Agreed. Talking with the distributor, the bombers shouldn't have anything viable left in them. The older, corked 750's are probably going to be the best bet.

I had good luck with the old corked and caged (they are/were centrigfuged, but that doesn't knock out all the bugs).

Someone forwarded this email to me from NB earlier today:

It doesn’t get pasteurized in the bottle. We have a flash pasteurizer for beers like this, so it gets pasteurized between the wood foeders and the bright tank as part of its finishing process.

Then, yeast and sugar are added for bottle conditioning. I misspoke in saying that everything is dead, just all of the critters that do the actual fermentation are dead. We bottle condition with a different yeast, so if you propagated that up you would still not be able to make a La Folie-type sour beer.

Latest posts

Back