Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Kriek - how long on fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Piotr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Kriek - how long on fruit?

A friend of mine just visited Belgium; he says they make Kriek that way: they take fresh cherries, they pulp them a little bit (no sanitation or pateurisation whatsoever), and they rack young (1 year old) lambic on it. After ~2 weeks they filter out the cherries and Kriek is ready.

The timing is somewhat different from what I heard (3 - 6 months on fruit), what is your experience in that subject?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I depends. A lambic after 1 year is probably ready to go and you only need enough time on the fruit to add flavor. With the lambic I have fermenting, I allowed it to ferment for a month, then I added fruit. I'll have the fruit in the secondary for 4 months before I rack off it and let it condition for another 7-8 months.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Do you know which brewery your friend talked to? The brewer from Cantillon said they leave beer on the fruit 2-3 months. It depends what sort of character you are looking for, and how much time you have. I’d be worried about bottling a sour fruit beer too early, two weeks might not be enough time for all the sugars to ferment out depending on how strong the microbes are.

I just bottled a Flanders Red that had been sitting on 2 lbs of sour cherries since November. I drank a full glass of it uncarbonated at warm cellar temp, can’t wait for it to carbonate.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Do you know which brewery your friend talked to? The brewer from Cantillon said they leave beer on the fruit 2-3 months.
He was in Cantillon too He must have talked to other brewer

I am asking about it, because my first Kriek was ruined by acetobacter.

I made a 6 gallon batch of lambic, 5 gallons are still fermenting in glass carboy (11 months) and they are OK so far.
One gallon I racked on 2 lb of cherries shortly after I pitched the bugs, and I let it sit for 10 months, and this one caught infection and now it tastes vinegary.

Now I'm going to rack the rest of my lambic on fresh cherries, and I want to make any necessary steps to prevent such infection. If you have any suggestions I will be happy to hear it. I'm thinking of lowering the temperature of the fermentation to ~64F to slow down the acetic microbes, and I want to keep the beer on fruit as short as possible.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

We had a discussion about oxygen exposure and acetobacter in a different thread. I highly doubt the fruit itself is the problem but more the aeration that occurs when racking onto it. You might benefit from flooding the secondary with CO2 and using a vessel that reduces the headspace to near nothing (and use glass).

Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
We had a discussion about oxygen exposure and acetobacter in a different thread. I highly doubt the fruit itself is the problem but more the aeration that occurs when racking onto it. You might benefit from flooding the secondary with CO2 and using a vessel that reduces the headspace to near nothing (and use glass).
Could you give me a link to that thread?

My infection was very rapid. At bottling the beer was quite OK, after a week it had some trace of vinegar, after 2 weeks I couldn't drink it. I suspect, there was plenty of acetobacter sitting in the carboy, but it couldn't act due to lack of oxygen. At bottling time it caught some oxygen and got to work...

Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/my-...t-sour-185397/

Does your bottling technique restrict aeration? No splashing into the bottling bucket or even flush it with CO2 first. Then make sure you use a bottling wand to deliver the beer directly to the bottom of the bottles.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Does your bottling technique restrict aeration? No splashing into the bottling bucket or even flush it with CO2 first. Then make sure you use a bottling wand to deliver the beer directly to the bottom of the bottles.
Sure, I don't even use bottling bucket, I bottle stright from the fermentor; but you know, some degree of oxygenation at bottling is inevitable.

I might have used too weak yeast for carbonation purposes, I added normal ale yeast starter (irish ale), as I see on the forum, they use dry champagne yeast for carbonating lambics, maybe the'd use up the oxygen faster.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I made a kriek a few years ago with whole fruit (with pits), slightly macerated. It was racked onto the fruit after about a month and I let it sit on the fruit for over a year. I read that it would extract flavors from the pits in addition to the fruit. It turned out great.

Quick Reply