Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Kriek - Can I add Cherry without racking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
marqoid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kriek - Can I add Cherry without racking?

I have a lambic base that is going to become a Kriek, it has been in primary for ~6 weeks. I haven't taken the gravity, but all signs of fermentation are done. Now I am going to add cherry puree and allow a second fermentation. I have read that a lot of people will leave a lambic in the primary for several months. So would it be okay to go ahead and just pour my cherry puree into the primary without racking?
That way when the second fermentation was done I could rack straight to a keg for aging and would have little risk of oxidation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
WAdamC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you pitched the funky stuff?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
marqoid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it was fermented from the start with 100% Brett and I pitched the dregs from a couple bottles of cantillon gueuze after ~2weeks.

I modeled the recipe after Northern Brewer's Dawson Kriek, they say it can be done after 2-3 months. I wanted to get everything in there together and let it sit in a keg to slowly sour.

Quick Reply