HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Kombucha & Beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
JacobS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kombucha & Beer...

I was wondering if anyone else has tried using a Kombucha SCOBY as a method for acidification of a sour beer?I have an overly complicated psuedopseudoLambic going right now where I used a 3-9day exposure to the SCOBY. It seems to have worked but I would be interested in hearing some thoughts on the matter.

(I'd be more then happy to give out the full details later)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Scobies are mostly acetobacteria, so you're going to get a definite acetic bite from it. A lot of people don't care for that.
I demand a full write up from you when you bottle and taste it.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Megascottydemon
Recipes 

Just bottled some kombucha today. I have been thinking about trying it to sour beer. I was going to use it to sour a small unhopped portion of wort, achieve nice sourness, halt the bacteria by either boiling or campden tablets. Then add that back to the main batch. Maybe a stout or something. Please do post your results!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Goose Island had a Kombucha beer at the Great Taste of the Midwest last summer. It was one of the beers on my "list" that I didn't get to try. There might be some info on the interwebs though.

Here's the description from the program:

"Kombucha Belgian Ale: 7% ABV OG 15.5 dP A Belgian Pale Ale primarily fermented w/ a Belgian Ale yeast. Secondary fermentation occurs when Kombucha cultures are added to sour the beer."

http://www.mhtg.org/great-taste-of-the-midwest/programs/doc_download/168-official-program

Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have a sour going that has a kombucha strain in the secondary, however it is one of 13-14 sour/brett strains aging with the beer, so I am not sure how prevalent this will be in the finished product. To be honest, I was ignorant to kombucha prior to this beer, but since it was the only strain in the coctail I did not know about I did some reading. I am suprised to see other have experimented with it too.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok so this is actually really complicated and I'll draw a flow chart and e-mail to people if they message me. (If you actually work for a brewery hands off)
So step one Cooked grains inoculated with Koji
Step two 'sparge' grains and add SCOBY
Step three add various yeasts etc cultured from selection of beers
Step four add Flor Sherry Yeast and healthy pack of wyeast
Step five wait....?
(complicated transfer method but you get the idea)

OK I used the SCOBY prior to adding any large quantities of yeast. Since I was going to be using both a Flor Sherry Yeast and var. Brett strains. Both of which I hear need lower PH. Actual Wort Contact time with the scoby was between 1 and 9 days due to my production method. Since obviously prolonged contact would give me wonderful vinegar but not drinkable beer.

I was curious to see what kind of results other people had gotten if they had tried using said scobies.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I did a couple kombucha beers back a couple years ago (for example http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/07/malt-kombucha-bottling-and-tasting.html ), it was interesting, but none of them were especially tasty. One of them was tated on an episode of basic brewing radio, needless to say the reaction from the other guys was pretty funny.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

SteveH43055 Likes This 

Tags
kombucha, lambic

Quick Reply