Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Just tried my first lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #31
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
I'm curious where in this thread I said that lindeman's was not good.

I said it was not a lambic.
Yes, you did say that...in fact you continue to post the exact same thing in this thread over and over and every time it is just as wrong as it was previously.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #32
BeerAg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't care what you call it, I want a Lindemann's clone. Anyone have a good recipe?

Besides, I was told by someone that you can't really call it lambic if it came in a bottle. It has to be cask conditioned and served in a cafe in Brussels in order to be called Lambic.

Why was this beer snob any less right than some of the other beer snobs on this thread?

Last edited by BeerAg; 03-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAg View Post
I don't care what you call it, I want a Lindemann's clone. Anyone have a good recipe?

Besides, I was told by someone that you can't really call it lambic if it came in a bottle. It has to be cask conditioned and served in a cafe in Brussels in order to be called Lambic.

Why was this beer snob any less right than some of the other beer snobs on this thread?
Not to rain on your request, but cloning a spontaneously fermenting beer is like winning the lottery.

One word... Terroir
Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #34
JacobS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok I read all four pages of this thread allow me to summarize;

Linemans Framboise is not a TRADITIONAL fruit Lambic.
It is however a very good example of a lambic base that has been sweetened with fruit juices.

So let us move on to something more interesting and creative. ie how could somebody clone this beer at home?

I think you could do it if you were kegging as you could pasturize and add a raspberry juice or syrup, but any ideas for bottling?

Prime a pLambic with raspberry juice and pasturize after 2wks, 3wks?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #35
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS View Post

So let us move on to something more interesting and creative. ie how could somebody clone this beer at home?

I think you could do it if you were kegging as you could pasturize and add a raspberry juice or syrup, but any ideas for bottling?

Prime a pLambic with raspberry juice and pasturize after 2wks, 3wks?
brew up a sweet wheat beer, add lots of raspberries and lactic acid, then bottle and enjoy

Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #36
manticle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Isn't lindemans a brand name?

To say 'lindemans is not a lambic' is like saying 'young's is not a bitter'.

Are you talking about lindeman's framboise, lindeman's kriek, lindeman's gueze, lindeman's faro.....

I wouldn't rely on the BJCP guidelines as the ultimate resource for defining a style either.

Sweetening doesn't stop it being a lambic - it just makes it a sweetened lambic. Yes there are some other lambics that are not sweetened and will taste different. Someone may get a surprise. Doesn't make it any less a beer based on spontaneous fermentation brewed according to certain traditions from a specific part of the world. It's also a good introductory beer to people wishing to expand their palate into the world of sour.

To make one read this:

http://www.brewery.org/library/LmbicJL0696.html

and join this:

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/f...108752780&pg=1

Last edited by manticle; 03-13-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I have no problems kegging or killing the yeast, hell I will have quite awhile to research what to do. I would love to make a clone of the Framboise that Lindeman's makes. I am sure the wife and I would love drinking on that one. What real Lambics should I try to see if I really want to make a lambic style ale?
Well since everyone else is too angry to answer I'll go for it. Here are some I've enjoyed, but there are plenty more out there to try.

Geueze: Any of the Cantillon products are good (Lou Pepe Geueze, 100% Classic Geueze etc.), Hanssens Artisanaal's Oude Geueze is great as well. Lindmans Cuvee Rene is good (don't want to argue about it, try it for yourself)

Flemish/Flanders Sour Ales: Rodenbach Grand Cru (pretty inexpensive nowadays), Monk's Cafe Sour Flemish, Duchesse de Bourgogne (just bought a case of this liquid gold), Bacchus by Castle Brewery Van Housenbrouck (Kasteel), De Proef Zeutzuur (sweet and sour)

Fruit Lambic: Cantillon Kriek (and Lou Pepe Kriek), Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Cantillon Framboise...I haven't tried too many fruit lambics other than the Cantillon offerings, but these are all authentically sour and great.

Then you have your American Wild Ales like Allagash's Confluence or Interlude , Russian River's Temptation, Consecration, Supplication etc. All good.

Take your time trying these, they tend to be on the pricey side. I recomend cracking each with a good meal and paying attention to how they change with rising temperature. If you have some to spare, the acidity is phenominal for vinagrettes and marinades. Happy drinking!

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #38
trig
Recipes 

Here is a link to a supposed Lindemans clone recipe.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/r...ndemans-lambic

I'm currently right in the middle of brewing this, my plan is to secondary in half gallon growlers and try different fruits (think I'll leave one of just the original Belgian wheat as well).

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

FWIW. Faro is a traditional Lambic that is back sweetened with candi sugar before bottling. I like big puckering sours and wilds but the sweetness to a faro is very nice aswell.

If you like the Lindemann's, try to find some clones of New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red or their Raspberry Tart. They only distribute in WI but they have a soft tartness from the fruit more that from wild bacteria and other critters.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #40
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

deleted, double post

Last edited by COLObrewer; 05-26-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply