Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Just tried my first lambic
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Sithdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Macungie, PA
Posts: 332
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Just tried my first lambic

My wife came home with a bottle of Framboise's Raspberry Lambic today. Apparently a coworker of her's liked the homebrew I gave him so he decided to return the favor.

I have to say it was nothing like I was expecting. I had this notion that the beer was going to be like drinking a Sour Patch Kid candy, or something like that. Instead, I was treated to, what I would call a sparkling wine. I was very impressed and so was SWMBO. Especially since she doesn't like beer and is a wine drinker. Perhaps I need to look into making a lambic now. I never would have thought I would be trying a lambic.

__________________
Sithdad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fifelee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vaughn, MT
Posts: 1,105
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Lindermans Framboise is good, but it is kind of the BMC of the lambic world. For true lambic sour flavor try a Gueuze. Then get your hands on anything by Cantillon. It is well worth the money.

__________________
fifelee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
smellysell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 537
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
Lindermans Framboise is good, but it is kind of the BMC of the lambic world. For true lambic sour flavor try a Gueuze. Then get your hands on anything by Cantillon. It is well worth the money.
Is there anywhere in GF that sells Cantillon Fife?
__________________
High Mountain Hoppers Homebrew Club

I heart sour beer
smellysell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Orangevango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Lindemans is not lambic.

Dont listen to the label, its a lie.

__________________
Visit my Hop Farm on Facebook
Orangevango is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 313
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdad View Post
My wife came home with a bottle of Framboise's Raspberry Lambic today. Apparently a coworker of her's liked the homebrew I gave him so he decided to return the favor.

I have to say it was nothing like I was expecting. I had this notion that the beer was going to be like drinking a Sour Patch Kid candy, or something like that. Instead, I was treated to, what I would call a sparkling wine. I was very impressed and so was SWMBO. Especially since she doesn't like beer and is a wine drinker. Perhaps I need to look into making a lambic now. I never would have thought I would be trying a lambic.
yes, as mentioned above, you did not try a lambic. it would be about the same to say that miller lite is a pilsener.
__________________

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

slim chillingsworth is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #6
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fifelee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vaughn, MT
Posts: 1,105
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
Is there anywhere in GF that sells Cantillon Fife?
Sadly no, but I did get some at Topper there in Helena. I also have a few bottle I brought back from Belgium.
__________________
fifelee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
maskednegator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: san diego
Posts: 323
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Try Lindeman's Cuvee Rene and get back to us.

__________________
maskednegator is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
oojuxeoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philly burbs
Posts: 25
Default

Cantillon Rose. My wife loves it, and isn't the easiest to find to buy in case form. In Philly, Monk's Cafe and Eulogy have it. I am thinking stocking stuffer.

__________________
oojuxeoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,906
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
Lindemans is not lambic.

Dont listen to the label, its a lie.
You must be joking, Lindemans has been brewing traditional lambics for going on 200 years. Just because something is backsweetened does not mean it isn't a lambic. The base of that beer is indeed a true lambic, if your personal tastes sway towards the funkier, more sour and dry lambics they do make a gueuze called Cuvee Rene that you might like.

For anyone who is a fan of Lindemans check out this video, they visit the brewery at about 7:30 and there is some pretty rad footage.
http://www.trilulilu.ro/pauzadebere/...o_google_com=#
__________________
Tonedef131 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 805
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
You must be joking, Lindemans has been brewing traditional lambics for going on 200 years. Just because something is backsweetened does not mean it isn't a lambic. The base of that beer is indeed a true lambic, if your personal tastes sway towards the funkier, more sour and dry lambics they do make a gueuze called Cuvee Rene that you might like.
video_google_com=#[/url]
He's not the only one who feels this way, Jean van Roy of Cantillon has been quoted as saying that it isnt lambic, he goes on to say that a lambic CANNOT be sweet it must be dry and acidic

Article with quote
http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=8728

Maybe the base beer for lindemans was a lambic, cuvee renee is a pretty decent gueuze, but that does not mean the Framboise should be considered a fruit lambic, it just isnt representative of the style, its more of an alcopop thing.
__________________
ryane is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lambic Sager Brewing Co. General Techniques 12 01-06-2009 02:04 AM
What to do with lambic.org... bensyverson General Beer Discussion 4 02-27-2008 05:15 AM
lambic noobrich All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 01-22-2008 08:10 PM
My first lambic... Ó Flannagáin General Beer Discussion 10 11-06-2007 12:32 AM
Lambic? Chris_Dog Recipes/Ingredients 8 08-20-2007 04:26 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS