Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I really dont see how much difference there is between the in a sour, do whatever your gut tells you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also agree about La Roja. In general, Jolly Pumpkin is among my favorite US breweries, but La Roja is just not a good Flanders-inspired sour ale. In addition to the assessments above, it comes off with a strange woody quality that is not beneficial to the overall character of the beer.

La Folie is my favorite, followed by Rodenbach Grand Cru and Vintages.

Ryane is right on about the base malt. There are so many other elements in the making of this beer that will exert a much more noticeable influence on it.

Although there aren't a lot of commercial options for homebrewers, I'm not a big fan of the Roselare blend. Without putting it through a few generations first, and then really encouraging it to sour along with much age, it just doesn't do much to excite me. If you can get a hold of it, I'd go with Bugfarm or the Flemish blend from East Coast Yeast if possible. (Also, a question I see a lot is whether to ferment clean, followed by a bug blend in the secondary vs primarying w/ bugs. Definitely Primary with bugs, especially if you have to go the Roselare route.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
I also agree about La Roja. In general, Jolly Pumpkin is among my favorite US breweries, but La Roja is just not a good Flanders-inspired sour ale. In addition to the assessments above, it comes off with a strange woody quality that is not beneficial to the overall character of the beer.

La Folie is my favorite, followed by Rodenbach Grand Cru and Vintages.

Ryane is right on about the base malt. There are so many other elements in the making of this beer that will exert a much more noticeable influence on it.

Although there aren't a lot of commercial options for homebrewers, I'm not a big fan of the Roselare blend. Without putting it through a few generations first, and then really encouraging it to sour along with much age, it just doesn't do much to excite me. If you can get a hold of it, I'd go with Bugfarm or the Flemish blend from East Coast Yeast if possible. (Also, a question I see a lot is whether to ferment clean, followed by a bug blend in the secondary vs primarying w/ bugs. Definitely Primary with bugs, especially if you have to go the Roselare route.

The base of the recipe is what Jolly Pumkin uses, but it is not going to be like the beer due to a different yeast strain. I have to use the Roeslare Yeast due to it's availability. Where does one go about getting Al' Bugfarm yeast?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I've got a flanders that had cultured la roja dregs in the primary, and roeselare in the secondary (along with several other dregs). It's about 5 months in and is pretty good. I had a sample a couple weeks ago and it smelled and tasted similar to la folie, but not as complex or sour. I'm brewing another sour in a couple weeks using cultured dregs from JP autumn fire and GI fleur for primary and WY lambic blend in the secondary.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
The base of the recipe is what Jolly Pumkin uses, but it is not going to be like the beer due to a different yeast strain. I have to use the Roeslare Yeast due to it's availability. Where does one go about getting Al' Bugfarm yeast?
Al makes his East Coast Yeast strains/blends available through Princeton Homebrew in New Jersey. They have an email list that is sent out whenever new batches come in.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
Al makes his East Coast Yeast strains/blends available through Princeton Homebrew in New Jersey. They have an email list that is sent out whenever new batches come in.
Where can I sign up for the list? I am only able to find the shops phone number.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

You could try contacting them directly; East Coast Yeast has a Facebook page with an email address and the yeast descriptions.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
You could try contacting them directly; East Coast Yeast has a Facebook page with an email address and the yeast descriptions.
Already done, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll update the thread if I and when I do.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
RJSkypala
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually had a La Roja for the first time the other night. I thought it was quite nice, a little drier than a Rodenbach, perhaps a little less acetic too. In general though I love the Jolly Pumpkin blend of bugs and love the flavor and aroma it contributes to all of their beers that I have had.

Quick Reply