Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Jolly Pumpkin dregs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jolly Pumpkin dregs

I amd e a batch of BW (didn't work out the best form me, lol) and used the second runings and some DME to make another smaller batch of BW that same day. It did not ferment out the way it should have and now has a nice pellicle on it so I decided to dump in some JP dregs, any idea how long I should wait on tasting again? I assume there is some Sach in those dregs no?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i wouldn't bother for 6 months, put it in a closet and forget about it

Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
jmastagetoblasta
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The dregs from the jp bottles are usually a yeast blend WLP500 and some other yeast, since jp beers are all keg/ bottle conditioned. Not saying that various other wild yeasts aren't in there... but the majority of it is simply the remains from priming.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 237 Posts

JP uses WLP550. There may not be any alive in the bottle. Even if there is, pitching dregs will not give you much yeast. You need to add some other yeast.

The dregs will have some Brett, lacto, and Pedio, but it's going to take a year to seen anything decent from them.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I got a pretty strong lactic character from the JP dregs I pitched into a hibiscus saison after about a month. Granted, the bottle was only a month and a half old, but still. You do not need to wait years and years for funky/sour character from fresh dregs.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.
MrOrange Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
jmastagetoblasta
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Calder- thank you for the correction, you're right. However, recently they switched to T-58. Letting the dregs warm to room temp., add a little fresh wort, agitate, then making a starter works wonderfully... a friend of mine made one that way... you get the full spectrum of pedio, lacto, brett. he said. If you just dump the dregs right in, the other wild bacteria probably wont take off.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When I used JP dregs they seemed to work pretty quickly. I had a split batch of sour cherry porter that ended up souring in about 3-4 months with Bier de Mars dregs and the other half took about 6 months with Bam Noire dregs. The one with the Bam Noire is probably the best funky beer I have made. It has a nice leathery funk and a decent lactic sourness.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

JP dregs do sour very quickly, i have a 3 gallon carboy with JP dregs that i pour leftover wort into at the end of my brew sessions, after 2-3 months it was extremely sour.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Has anyone done multiple generations with a JP culture/slurry?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
abrix
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

@dcHokie: yes, but with the caveat that there were dregs from 5 or 6 other sour beers added in the beginning as well. We inoculated a brown ale after doing primary with a clean yeast, then transferred to a used bourbon barrel to inoculate the barrel. Now we run sours through the barrel, which is holding up nicely as a reservoir for the bugs.

Quick Reply