Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Interesting...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
ChadChaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Interesting...

I made a Cream Ale/Kolsch with the grist of a typical American Cream Ale and fermented with ECY Kolsch, fermented for 2 weeks at 62f or so steady the whole time. The beer dropped nice and clean and clear, so I planned a little fun. Racked 1 gallon each onto blackberries, strwberries, bing cherries and blueberries, and I bottled the rest plain as a control batch. After 2 days I saw no activity from the fruit, no big deal, I moved them off the cool concrete floor to a table top and bam I have new fermentation. checked them last night and the strawberry was kicking, ahd to pull airlock and vent a bit, using 1 gallon glass Carlo Rossi wine jugs w #6.5 stoppers so no real way to blow off that I can see, smelled and tasted great, minus the Star San. Checked them again tonight, because I love to see the progress, and SURPRISE! The blueberry batch has the start of a pellicle! I rinsed the fruit well and froze but did not pasturize so I am not totally surprised. I am hoping it is some strain of Lacto or Brett so it will be drinkable or blendable, if not it is just 1 gallon right. I will try to post pics tomorrow if I have time but definitively leaning toward a pellice; big dark gray like bubbles with some crusty looking arms and such, resembles the pellicle pics I have seen. I am kind of excited, I have a sour Witt aging now with the beginnings of a pellicle too, could make for some fun! Getting some ECY Bugfarm Friday and Roslere tomorrow, so the sour part of the brewery will be rolling soon!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sweet! Excited to see pics.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Nice! That's the good part about brewing - the experimentation.

Quick Reply