Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Infected IPA - An Opportunity in Disguise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
SeamusMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Infected IPA - An Opportunity in Disguise

Hey all,

I brewed up a 2.5 gallon batch of Sam Calagione's Imperial Pale Ale a couple of months back and it still remains in bulk aging. I had to move this beer a lot, 4 transfers to be exact and somewhere a long the way it picked up some unexpected guests. The infection looks similar to the one pictured below, although not as widespread.

I thought that it may have been the hop oil bubbling up from the depths but I've inspected it numerous times and I've noticed pellicle-like structures hanging below the surface. That's something, which doesn't come up in discussions about hop oils in beer...

None the less I'm excited to try something new! I'm going to tuck the beer away for a long time, perhaps 6 months as the infection is only young. Is there anything I should do to facilitate the growth of the bacteria? Also, when the time comes should I dry-hop as per the original recipe?

Pics will be up tomorrow.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
dantose
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm interested to see how it comes out. I'd probably still dry hop as it might mask any undesirable flavors. You might want to grab a wine theif and steal some out to taste. That might give you a better indication of both it's later suitability for drinking and hopping plans.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantose View Post
I'm interested to see how it comes out. I'd probably still dry hop as it might mask any undesirable flavors. You might want to grab a wine theif and steal some out to taste. That might give you a better indication of both it's later suitability for drinking and hopping plans.
Thanks for the suggestion dantose. I'll take a bit out to test when I'm taking pictures this evening.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Quick Reply