New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > inactive bacteria

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
Warthaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
doesn't it depend on the strain of lacto? aren't certain ones more tolerant of hops and alcohol than others?
Lacto is fairly alcohol tolerant; most strains do fine upto 8-9%/vol. The heterofermentive ones (e.g. the ones that make both lactic acid and ethanol) wont ferment on their own past 2-3%, but both hetero and homofermentative lacto's maintain some souring capacity in beers with higher alcohol contents. The major thing that limits their activity is not alcohol, but rather the availability of fermentable carbohydrates. As you may expect, this can be limiting in beers where yeast have consumed most of the sugars. Many strains of lacto can eat cellbiose, which is why you can get on-going souring in barrel-aged beers. Using oak cubes may provide a similar capacity in the home brewery, but I've not tried this myself and therefore cannot comment on how well it works. As a rule, lacto added to a fermented beer in glass or plastic will not do well due to the lack of suitable carbohydrates.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01583633

As for hops, susceptibility is highly strain dependent. Most of the commercial ones are highly sensitive to hops. I (and many others) have isolated hop-resistant lacto strains. I'm still assessing the ones I've found (the first two produced some pretty unpleasant off-flavours; I've got 8 more to test), but others have reported success finding hop-resistant lacto's that produce nice acidification of beer without other undesired off-flavours. I believe the mad fermentationist has had success in this regard.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #22
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2643 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrasseurGeorges View Post
At the risk of hijacking the gentleman's thread, I do want to follow this a bit further down the rabbit hole. We talking 75F ambient, or fermentation temp?

Jealous of your Consecration. It's my favorite American sour and we don't get Russian River here in MI.
Room temp, which was 75F. I have a fermentation fridge, but I didn't bother with any of my sours.

I bought a case of Consecration in Philly. I've drank it in person in Santa Rosa several times. Love it. I still have some; might chill a bottle for this wkend

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
BrasseurGeorges
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

Room temp, which was 75F. I have a fermentation fridge, but I didn't bother with any of my sours.

I bought a case of Consecration in Philly. I've drank it in person in Santa Rosa several times. Love it. I still have some; might chill a bottle for this wkend
Ok, so we're talking 80-something. I could see that favoring lacto and quick development of acidity.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2643 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrasseurGeorges View Post
Ok, so we're talking 80-something. I could see that favoring lacto and quick development of acidity.
Yea, maybe. These sour blends are not as active as your standard chico strain ale yeast. It might have been +5F, but I doubt it. Plus, I don't make starters for the sour beers, so the cell count was pretty low.

Quick Reply