New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > I sunk my pellicle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
banik
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default I sunk my pellicle...

Yesterday, I checked my first sour (Duvel cultured yeast, Roeslaire, plus dregs from Rodenbach, "Green Monster", Saison Rue) that's been going for 10 months yesterday. It's amazing - I'm really pleased.

That said, the reason I checked it was because I have a 32oz bottle of tart cherry juice that is too tart for me, so I added that plus a can of sweet cherry puree. Well, some of the puree ran down the inside of the carboy, so without thinking I swirled it all up, and 'sunk' the pellicle. Does this matter? Should I try to avoid that in the future?

(Also, as a 2-for-1, should I wait for a pellicle to disappear before checking on a sour, or what?)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
crawfman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been told by numerous sour brewers/pros that it's fine to dump fruit onto the pellicle. It will reform and only really drops with vibrations. I bottle by racking under the pellicle too with no issues.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
banik
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the response

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfman View Post
I have been told by numerous sour brewers/pros that it's fine to dump fruit onto the pellicle. It will reform and only really drops with vibrations. I bottle by racking under the pellicle too with no issues.
I'm a bit curious about this advice. Seems most folks usually advocate carefully racking sour/funky/aged beers onto fruit, rather than adding fruit into the aging vessel for oxidation reasons.

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
banik
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

On the other hand- don't most funky beers need some oxygen to develop correctly- that's why barrels are so popular for them?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'm a bit curious about this advice. Seems most folks usually advocate carefully racking sour/funky/aged beers onto fruit, rather than adding fruit into the aging vessel for oxidation reasons.
Unless you liquidize the fruit and boil it, I suspect the fruit contains a lot of O2. Not sure either way makes much difference.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what most people do, but there are always different ways that work for other folks. Maybe with brett beers it's less of a worry since brett is an anti-oxidative reactant or whatever the tech term is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banik View Post
On the other hand- don't most funky beers need some oxygen to develop correctly- that's why barrels are so popular for them?
Some sure, but I woudn't want to get a bunch of air in a beer with acetobacter in it for instance.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Some sure, but I woudn't want to get a bunch of air in a beer with acetobacter in it for instance.
This was more along the lines of my comment since the OP has a sour going. I get nervous having to rack very old sours, but also not sure I want to go plopping a bunch of cherries through the neck of a carboy into an aged beer either...

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply