Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > I didn't want to hijack the turbid mash thread...but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default I didn't want to hijack the turbid mash thread...but...

Sideshow asked about the differences between the Wild brews turbid mash and the Liddle schedule, so that got me wondering about the Wyeast schedule:

2.35 qt/lb

Dough in wheat with 10% barley and 75% water at 140 F

Increase to boiling and hold for 30 minutes

Add remaining malt and water and adjust to 158 F degrees holding for 2 hours while regularly stirring. Rest 30 minutes

Sparge with 203 F water

Anyone tried this...it seems like its a lot easier than the others and me being lazy that's appealing to me if it yields good results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I used it twice and the resulting beers weren't great. I got shockingly high efficiency (the second time over 100%). The first batch wasn't the fault of the mash, it took 4 days for fermentation to start. The second started at 1.070 due to the high efficiency and the beer just never tasted quite right, not enough acidity.

The turbid mash is labor intensive, but it really doesn't take that much longer. When making a beer that takes years I'd put in the extra effort on brew day.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Thanks Oldsock, that is exactly what I was looking for...I'm all for putting the extra effort in if its worth it. So I guess I'm not lazy, just efficient. Now, off to drink a Monk's Cafe to build up my dregs.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
I used it twice and the resulting beers weren't great. I got shockingly high efficiency (the second time over 100%). The first batch wasn't the fault of the mash, it took 4 days for fermentation to start. The second started at 1.070 due to the high efficiency and the beer just never tasted quite right, not enough acidity.

The turbid mash is labor intensive, but it really doesn't take that much longer. When making a beer that takes years I'd put in the extra effort on brew day.
i used your blog as a starting point.

My third run i got 90%.
The first two batches where below target gravity.

Quick Reply