Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #881
turboninja64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboninja64 View Post
So i've read up to page 33 of this thread and havent found what I'm looking for. So i"m just going to ask. Is there a problem with collecting wild yeast and bacteria at too cold of a temp? I talked to a rep at morebeer a while back and he said that some European brewery he went to only brewed when it was cooler to collect their yeast. So today i brewed a small .5gal batch to leave out for about 12hrs. Then i read on this thread that most people are collecting at around 50-60 degrees. Our temps here right now are between 10-30. I guess one persons idea of cool is different than anothers. Is this going to be a problem? Not that I can do anything about it now. Thanks
So 7 days later and all I have is about 6 small spots of white fuzzy mold. So i guess this time it didnt work out. Maybe the very cold temps? Is there anything I can do to salvage this project? Maybe skim the top and re expose. Out temps have warmed here. We are now getting up to about 40f during the day, WHOOO HOOO. It is only a 1/2 gal, so no big loss if not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #882
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

@ Turboninja64

I finally had success with leaving it out for 24 hours then dumping the contents into a flask with a wadded paper towel stopper. The warm snugly confines of the flask really let the yard yeast flourish. I put it in the pantry which stays a consistant 72 degrees. a day or two later you could really see the tiny bubbles masses you are looking for. I then went about stepping it up a couple times.

It may look as if there is no wild yeast in the outdoor container, but most assuredly there is. It just needs the right conditions to really take off.

Or maybe i just got lucky

Either way i have a vigorous krausen on my gallon test batch. It smells like Brett B on steroids. I cant wait.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #883
rejart
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This thread is amazing

I was so inspired I decided to try it out with a small wort sample. I put about 4oz of ~1.030 wort in a mason jar and set it out under my covered front porch for 2 hours or so one evening. The temperature was about 53º F. After bringing it inside I transferred the wort to a sanitized beer bottle and attached an air lock.

After a week or so I checked the bottle and there was evidence of a krausen line roughly two fingers above the water level and a nice layer of light sediment on the bottom. I stuck the bottle in the fridge to cold crash for a few days.

I decanted a bit of the beer off the top to sample. It tasted very similar to a saison yeast, not sour but a bit of tartness, spice and funk. Now that I had a ballpark category I planned out a half batch saison recipe to run as a test. I decided on a simple extract recipe to save time and effort:

Stats
OG: 1.049 SG
FG: 1.006 SG
AA: 87.1%
ABV: 5.7%
IBU: 29.4
Color: 8 SRM

Fermentables
1.5lbs - Pilsner DME
6 oz. - CaraMunich III (steeped)
8 oz. - turbinado sugar

Hops
.25 oz - Perle 9.0% AA at 60 min.
.25 oz - Perle 9.0% AA at 10 min.

I stepped up my yeast to a 600 mL starter and this is what it looked like after cold crashing and decanting:

Looks like yeast to me

I brewed my batch a week ago today and stuck it in my old MR. BEER keg to ferment (I guess it's good for something after all). The yeast took off in about 8 hrs and started slowing down 3 days later. I was curious so I pulled a sample and the gravity was 1.006 already

The taste was unlike anything I've tasted before. It was absolutely delicious. Very dry but with a lingering sweetness. The flavor was fruity with a noticeable estery peach flavor (the yeast was harvested in GA after all ) as well as subtle mango/tropical fruit notes. There was not really any funk to speak of and no off flavors. I can't believe I lucked out with such a flavorful yeast!

I pulled another sample this afternoon and it's still going:

1.004 SG. That's over 91% attenuation!

Here's what it looks like:

Still a lot of yeast in suspension, but almost all of it flocculated out with a short time in the fridge. It should end up pretty clear when it's finished.

I'm going to let it ride for a few more weeks and maybe secondary in a couple gallon jugs for a while just to make sure something else (like Brett) doesn't decide to show up. I'll be bottling so I don't want any bottle-bombs.

Any idea of a good time frame to make sure it's done?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post

Primary: Belgian Dubbel
Bottled: Belgian IPA, Mild, Wild Saison
On Tap: Graf, English IPA, Belgian Blond
On Deck: Scottish 80/-, RyePA

Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #884
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A post I saw a couple of pages back about the use of heavily hopped wort intrigued me. Does hopping reduce the likelihood of growing mould, in addition to bacteria? Mould is the main thing that stops me from doing this more often. Also, does mould dislike acidity, and to what extent?

3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 01-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #885
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
I brewed up a 3 gallon 100% wheat beer for this today and pitched the raisin yeast a couple hours ago. It has already developed a small kruasen top and is very active.

I'm looking forward to the results in a few days.
California Raisin Wild Yeast (Texas)

100% Wheat Beer
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.013

Tastes great without raspberries!

Secondary on to 48oz of raspberries today. Yeast already attacking those.

Picture pleasure attached.
secondary-raspberry-framboozle-.jpg  
Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #886
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

^I love the malted wheat counter in your sig

Question for everyone on this thread:

In all my attempts to capture wild yeast, i have only encountered strains of Brett. Given this, i am assuming that a majority of the airborne yeast in my area is brettanomyces. Have you other yeast harvesters found any good sacc strains? should i try fruit skins instead of exposed wort? I really want to find a wild sacc yeast with some character, but not all wet horse blanket.

Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #887
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've captured wild Sacc, but I've only been interested in Brett so I've never kept any strains or tested them out. Based on my wild collections, I seem to get more Sacc (and possibly other non-Bretts) when the temp is warmer outside. Not sure if there is a real correlation since I've only done a handful of collections. It's help if you have some way to make selective plates/media or can put your yeast under a microscope.

I'll ask another question. I have 3 different wild Brett strains fermenting a simple wheat extract. They are about 2.5 months old and in the past week, 2 of them started to get really dark. I'm talking about a light wheat beer to a vary dark amber colored beer. I did a bit of searching and haven't found any answers. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I'll post pictures tomorrow.
I did sample them a few weeks back and maybe the air exposure caused some oxidation or some other reaction? I've never seen this with other beers I've brewed, but this is the first time I've done such small volumes.

Here is a photo. All started like the gallon on the right.
The color difference is not due to lighting, although all three are a bit darker due to the poor quality photo.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

20130114_162448.jpg  

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #888
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

sorry i got nothing, only a question. bluedubbed (or others) what plates/selection are you using to isolate brett? i just plated girardin dregs on plates made from 1.038 wort, 1% agar, chx 25 ug/ml, chlor 50 ug/ml. the plates are clear as the blue sky after 4 days room temp.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #889
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Dinnerstick.

The plates I use are not that much different than what you have. I use WLN (recipe here - http://www.condalab.com/pdf/1086.pdf) supplemented with 10 ug/ml chx (first few batches I used 20ug/ml and growth was a bit slower) and 25 ug/ml chlor. Maybe you want to step back the chx and chlor at bit especially since you are trying to isolate yeast from a bottle. I'm not sure though.

When I make my initial collections outside I use both chx and chlor. After I pick and streak out individual colonies I use WLN plates with just chx and bromocresol green (10ug/ml - I think, but will have to check my notes) since I'm not so worried about bacteria at this point.

I grow everything at 30 degrees C. I found that some come up overnight and others have taken 3-4 days to get sizable colonies. I also recently want back to some plates I had a 4 degrees C (for a few months) and noticed a handful of new colonies appeared. I will grow these in liquid culture to see if the morphology is different from others I've grown.

I think I've read on this thread or other blogs that people have let plates go for 3+ weeks when isolating yeast from dregs. It doesn't quite make sense to me (unless the media is really poor), but I've never tried to do this so I don't know. Sorry.

So, maybe drop the chx and chlor a bit and maybe try a more defined media vs. wort. Keep us updated.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #890
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

thanks a lot. very helpful information. i'll try both suggestions (wln media and less drugs). i have been growing liquid cultures at 30 but plates at room temp (trying to be a bit inconspicuous at work) which i guess is ~21.
i haven't seen that 3 week plate suggestion, like you it goes against my microbiology instincts.
unfortunately i'll have to go open a new bottle. girardin or cantillon?? or oud beersel? such choices.
cheers!!

Quick Reply