Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #861
BHMPIRE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What do you think, mold or yeast?

On 12/13 I divided hopped, 1.030 wort into three containers, placed one in my attic, one in my cellar, and one in my front yard. On 12/14 I transferred them to growlers and airlocked them.

The one from my attic has seen the fastest growth...of something. At first I was certain it was white mold, but now I'm wondering if it is indeed yeast. There are bubbles coming through.

They started off as a few small, round, white spots on top of the wort and have since multiplied to this:
attic-yeast.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #862
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dinnerstick - Where did you get your bugs for your wild cider? Just off the fruit?
Cool to see Kloeckera apiculata.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #863
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

they are wild, just off the fruit or maybe from my juicer? it's all from one tree at fatherinlaw's. i'm hoping to isolate a sacc or brett strain and see what else it can do. there's a tiny wild/brett (beer) festival in the summer and people are doing this kind of odd thing for it.
the cider looks and smells the same as my other wild fermented ciders at this point, it's part apple and part spicy/sour french goat's cheese! eventually that tangy smell dissipates

Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #864
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dinnerstick - very neat. I'll have to give that a try some time.

Another question for the thread:

I finally got around to tasting the 3 wild brett fermentations that I have as gallon batches. They are 6 weeks old. One strain has super high attenuation and is very dry and has a strong medicine taste (chlorophenolics?). That's about it for flavor profile. They other two are sweeter, with a bit of fruity sourness and a good bit of the medicine taste, but they aren't terrible. Both are similar, but different. I've never brewed a straight Brett beer before, so my questions is will the medicine taste mellow over time? I know these are young beers and all the other straight Brett beers I've tasted are completely different, i.e., no medicine line flavor.
Thanks.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #865
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been trying to catch up on this thread the past couple of days but only made it to page 16 so far. I have an experiment going with wild yeasts that I am going to be trying hopefully in the next week or two in some mini wild beer experiments.

I put a picture in the post. From left to right, raspberries, brewers yeast (re-cultivate from spring valley supplements), blueberries, cherries, lindeman's cassis dreg and raisins.

The raspberry and Lindeman's Cassis (blueberry) I am planning on using in two recipes I am developing called "Framboozle" and "Cascetious".

Has anyone else tried this as of yet?

wild-yeasts.jpg  
Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #866
Weizenstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post

The raspberry and Lindeman's Cassis (blueberry) I am planning on using in two recipes I am developing called "Framboozle" and "Cascetious".
Not to nit-pick but Cassis means black currant, not blueberry. It's really hard to get black currants here in the US, though I think Whole foods sells a 100% black currant juice.

Let us know how the fruit cultures turn out. The brewers yeast supplement capsules are probably all dead cells, the Lindemans dregs aren't exactly the kind of wild yeast we're talking about on this thread, culturing from commercial bottles has been covered in a lot of other threads.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #867
BenWillcox
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Also, hating to burst any bubbles but the Lindeman's fruit lambics are all pasteurized and back sweetened. (Yes, I know that the Oude Kriek isn't, but you can't get it here in the states.) The point being that the Lindeman's Cassis and framboise are pasteurized and thus there is nothing alive in the bottles for you to harvest.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #868
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Not to nit-pick but Cassis means black currant, not blueberry. It's really hard to get black currants here in the US, though I think Whole foods sells a 100% black currant juice.
Understand. Thanks.

Quote:
The brewers yeast supplement capsules are probably all dead cells...
They are fermenting a 1.060 wort at the moment. Nice trub cake at the bottom.

Quote:
The point being that the Lindeman's Cassis and framboise are pasteurized and thus there is nothing alive in the bottles for you to harvest.
Thanks for letting me know before I spent time on this one. I will have to tell whatever is in the jar fermenting that wort to knock that crap off and quit trying to be real yeast.

The fruit cultures are all coming along nicely now. I got some more time on them but I am looking forward to testing some minibrews with them.
Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #869
turboninja64
Recipes 

So i've read up to page 33 of this thread and havent found what I'm looking for. So i"m just going to ask. Is there a problem with collecting wild yeast and bacteria at too cold of a temp? I talked to a rep at morebeer a while back and he said that some European brewery he went to only brewed when it was cooler to collect their yeast. So today i brewed a small .5gal batch to leave out for about 12hrs. Then i read on this thread that most people are collecting at around 50-60 degrees. Our temps here right now are between 10-30. I guess one persons idea of cool is different than anothers. Is this going to be a problem? Not that I can do anything about it now. Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #870
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have any solid evidence to definitively answer your question, but I've been able to capture yeast as low as 35-40 F. I haven't tried anything lower.
Let us know how things turn out.

Quick Reply