The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #851
bluedubbed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure how this relates to others experiences using wort to harvest yeast and bacteria, but I collected wild yeast using agar plates. I did everything from leaving the plates outside and uncovered overnight, to covering them with cheesecloth, to simply rubbing fruit, flowers, and other plant material on the plates. I think I got a single colony from all the covered/uncovered plates that I left out. On the other hand I got many colonies when I rubbed fruit, etc directly on the plate. Just my experience.

Update on my three brett 1 gallon testers.
Although I pitched ~10^6-10^7 yeast (OG- ~1.08), it took 3 full days at 65 degrees to get things moving. A week later and the airlock is still bubbling at a very slow rate. The krausen on all three strains was huge. I haven't tasted them yet, but they don't have too funky of a smell. I'm sure it takes time to develop the flavor profile.

I'll post photos if I remember to take them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #852
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a question about wild yeast hunting. Does seasonal weather impact the available wild stock in the area? We just had our first cold snap and im wondering if this might have a negative impact on the success rate of a wild harvest.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #853
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
I have a question about wild yeast hunting. Does seasonal weather impact the available wild stock in the area? We just had our first cold snap and im wondering if this might have a negative impact on the success rate of a wild harvest.

Thanks guys!
I don't know if the weather impacts the viability of local yeast but incoming weather systems will blow other stuff into your area. The temperature will also affect what is more viable at that given time.

If your weather down there is anything like it is up here it's not very cold right now...

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #854
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried and failed several times in winter to catch em. It MIGHT have been the rain.

3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #855
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I don't know if the weather impacts the viability of local yeast but incoming weather systems will blow other stuff into your area. The temperature will also affect what is more viable at that given time.

If your weather down there is anything like it is up here it's not very cold right now...
Yeah its been warm recently, i think when i posted that we had our first touch of cold and i thought it might hang around.

I have attempted several times to catch a wild yeast but all i seem to catch is mold and nasties.

I will try it again i guess!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #856
Weizenstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mmm, I left some heavily hopped wort out at a farm in Mesa Arizona overnight, transfered into a jar and added vodka to raise the alcohol to 3%, a week later I've got high krausen and it's smelling very saison like! Excited to step this one up. It seems likely that Brett and/or Pedio is still lurking in there, I guess I won't know for a month or two without plating or other testing?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #857
bluedubbed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are some long overdue photos. These are all wild yeast (and other stuff) that were captured by rubbing different things on the plates. Juniper berries, pine cones, Russian sage flowers, rotting crab apples, etc. All plates have cycloheximinde (10-20 ug/ml) and the blue looking plates have brocresol green. I then picked single colonies from these plates and streaked them out. The top streaks on each plate correspond to the photos of the yeast I posted a few pages back. These plates have been sitting in the fridge for a while now, so that's why they are so overgrown.

I did 3 small batches of a simple light wheat recipe and used these two strains (definitely Brett) and another, which I'm not sure what it is (maybe a wild Sacc ?). They are over a month old. I might taste them in a few weeks just to see what kind of flavors are present. They smell kind of weird.

20121210_164109_resized.jpg   20121210_164127_resized.jpg   20121210_164609_resized.jpg   20121210_164617_resized.jpg  

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #858
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i have a wild fermenting cider going at the moment (i do at least 1 per year), i took a bit of the foamy top surface, diluted, plated out on both DME and DME + chloramphenicol25 + cyclohexamide50. both sets of plates looked exactly the same, with only one colony morphology. the critters look like this. bad pic, i didn't have time to try to get the camera to cooperate, but there they are. no scale bar, 40x objective. anyone know what looks like this, that would grow on CHX?

bud.jpg.jpg  

Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #859
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i have a wild fermenting cider going at the moment (i do at least 1 per year), i took a bit of the foamy top surface, diluted, plated out on both DME and DME + chloramphenicol25 + cyclohexamide50. both sets of plates looked exactly the same, with only one colony morphology. the critters look like this. bad pic, i didn't have time to try to get the camera to cooperate, but there they are. no scale bar, 40x objective. anyone know what looks like this, that would grow on CHX?
Those lemon shaped ones are Kloeckera Apiculata. They only digest glucose, I think, and they do a lot of the work in a cider fermentation because of this. Theoretically, the ratio of Saccharomyces and other yeasts should increase over the K. apiculata when the latter runs out of things to eat.
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #860
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

cool, thanks for the ID. i'll sample it again in a few weeks. i have it around 12-15 degrees so it's going slowly

Quick Reply