The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #691
NordicNinja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This thread inspired me to go out and try to catch some wild yeast (and finally register for HBT).

I mixed up a small batch of wort at about 1.020-1.030 ish, boiled for about 15 minutes with some pellet hops mixed in. I also squeezed a bit of lemon into it after reading the advice here about lowering the PH. The wife and I went camping out at Deception Pass in the northwestern part of Washington state. Looks kinda like this:

I separated the wort into two tupperware containers and left one on the table at the campsite and the other on a stump underneath a tree. They sat out for about 6 hours or so at about 50-55 degrees.

So they've been sitting out on top of the fridge for about a week now. It's hard to tell what I've got exactly. The wort smells alright with a bit of a sourness, in the last couple of days I've started to see some bubbles and now there seems to be a film starting to grow on top. No sign of mold yet. Here are some pics:

Pretty fun experiment, hopefully I ended up getting some yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #692
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wild went in bottles today - last i had tasted it, it was overwhelming brett. the base beer is a basic wheat, bittered to 17 bus and when i tasted it, i was shocked. the brett is very much front and center, but it drinks like a wheat orval. very light, delicate, very complex. i'm really looking forward to this being ready.

the yeast moved 2 points with the additional 6 months and wound up at 85% attenuation... i have this yeast captured and i'll use it again when i brew something belgian-y...

all in a all a great beer day - bottled my caramel sour that was 100% soured with a house cultured bug blend. it came out incredible and is at the moment (uncarbed and room temp) the best sour i've ever had - gorgeous bright red color, absolutely clear and a fantastic mouthfeel - not much sour, very delicate, but i suspect it'll change in the bottle over time.

by far the best beer forum going - thanks guys, i've learned a lot here - it's allowed me to drink really good and unique beer.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #693
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi I'm thread starter.

Just wanted to stop by and let people know I'm still around, and I'm so happy to see all the neat, cool stuff people have been doing because of this thread.

Happy brewing and bug collecting

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #694
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Made and streaked two plates with my big wild yeast culture a few days ago.

25mL dry wheat malt extract
250mL water
30mL gelatin

15mL honey
0.5mL yeast nutrient
250mL water
30mL gelatin

The honey one became a goopy mountainous mess that I didn't feel like trying to isolate anything from, but the wheat one kept its form quite well. I will be scooping up as many single blob colonies as I can and then restreaking each onto a new plate.

3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #695
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Attached is an image I took from my iPad.

Ingredients:
25mL dry wheat malt extract
250mL water
30mL gelatin
and around about 4 days. Check yours each day for fast-breeding colonies, if that's a feature you're selecting for.

image-2918582.jpg  
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet
wSelwyn Likes This 
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #696
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I scooped up five blobs of yeast and put each into jars of 1:10 wort, shook like a mofo and will check on them tomorrow morning.

3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #697
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE=NordicNinja;3990187]This thread inspired me to go out and try to catch some wild yeast (and finally register for HBT).

How does the culture smell?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #698
NordicNinja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapie View Post
How does the culture smell?
It doesn't smell like whole lot honestly. Mostly sour, a bit sweet. Not unlike I would imagine wort left sitting out for a while.

It's been a week and a half, so the yeast should be starting to take over around now (right?). There is some white powdery looking stuff sitting around the bottom of the tupperware and a white ring around the wort line (mold?). There is an interesting pinkish red glob floating in the other sample, not really sure what that is but it sure grosses the wife out.

I was thinking about making a half gallon starter and tossing both of my samples in just to see what happens. I figure at least I'll be able to take a gravity reading so I'll know if I'm getting any fermentation action.

Speaking of which......how long should I wait before taking a reading? From what I've gathered these wild yeast (if I do in fact have any) can take a while to chew through the sugar.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #699
NordicNinja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Hi I'm thread starter.

Just wanted to stop by and let people know I'm still around, and I'm so happy to see all the neat, cool stuff people have been doing because of this thread.

Happy brewing and bug collecting
Awesome to see the OP is still around. Great thread man!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #700
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicNinja View Post
It doesn't smell like whole lot honestly. Mostly sour, a bit sweet. Not unlike I would imagine wort left sitting out for a while.

It's been a week and a half, so the yeast should be starting to take over around now (right?). There is some white powdery looking stuff sitting around the bottom of the tupperware and a white ring around the wort line (mold?). There is an interesting pinkish red glob floating in the other sample, not really sure what that is but it sure grosses the wife out.

I was thinking about making a half gallon starter and tossing both of my samples in just to see what happens. I figure at least I'll be able to take a gravity reading so I'll know if I'm getting any fermentation action.

Speaking of which......how long should I wait before taking a reading? From what I've gathered these wild yeast (if I do in fact have any) can take a while to chew through the sugar.
Wild yeast haven't been any slower at eating in my own experience. If it's a bit sour, you might have a bacterial infection. Also the things floating ontop are quite likely to be mould. The stuff at the bottom could be yeast that have finished doing their thing and have floculated. I would suggest tipping the wort out carefully, while trying to keep the white powdery stuff on the bottom, then put some fresh hopped (to discourage bacteria) wort on top of the powdery stuff and shake it all up.
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison