Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #61
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Schlenkerla, have you considered using a loop to innoculate a plate with wild samples. For instance, I was thinking about using a loop to collect some nectar from a bloom on a meyer lemon tree I have to see if there were any wild yeasts living in there.
No, I haven't. That might be another way to do this. Gonna have to think about that one...

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #62
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

UPDATE: Still no visible signs of growth. I'm gonna do a 4 hour exposure this morning. Its a bit cool now; ~34F @ 8:37AM should get to about 50F by noon.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #63
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I read somewhere that "Way back then..." "they" would put grapes in their concoction to attract bugs. Flies, etc... would bring the yeast to their hooch. Not sure what kind of alcohol they were making, where in the world they did this, or what bug they were trying to attract, I just remember that tidbit of info.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #64
peck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer View Post
I read somewhere that "Way back then..." "they" would put grapes in their concoction to attract bugs. Flies, etc... would bring the yeast to their hooch. Not sure what kind of alcohol they were making, where in the world they did this, or what bug they were trying to attract, I just remember that tidbit of info.
Actually the yeast lives on the skin of the grapes and this is what ferments the hooch. You probably don't want actual insects in your beer. Yeast lives on the skins of most fruit.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #65
brewmonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you ever harvest grapes at a vineyard, you'll find that there are already insects living inside the grape clusters. They generally don't survive the fermentation and pressing.

You'll also notice how there's a sort of fine white dust on the skins of many of the grapes. That's the wild yeast.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #66
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I've had great success with capturing wild yeasts from the skins of fruits for use in cider, my process is simple:

get an organic fruit (so far I've only done stone fruits and apples), try not to touch it with your bare hands as much as possible. Skin the fruit and place the skin into a 12oz bottle filled half-way with apple juice and a little yeast nutrient. cover with foil and shake it around every few hours or so (I don't have a stir-plate) and keep in a warm place. Once you see some good fermentation happening (3-4 days usually), shake around the starter again and transfer the liquids and trub to another 12oz with a bit more juice in it, leaving the skins behind, let starter ferment through for a few more days, then pitch into your wort/apple juice. After that batch is done, I usually wash the yeast to use again. I've found that the first batch is quite "dirty" and cleans up after subsequent washings and refrigerations. YMMV.
You were DEF locked up for a while huh? lol

Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #67
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Default Successs!!!

I have yeast growth. I snapped one picture. Here it is.

There are a few black specs inside, I don't know if its mold or debris. If they don't get bigger its debris.

To me it looks like debris, but only time will tell. (you can see the dots) My fingers are crossed for "No black growth".

I think this will be tart or sour beer. It smells like it a bit.

I think a small belgian/german wheat beer will be in my future plans.

I'll keep you guys posted.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #68
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Freakin' SWEET. Is there anyway you can seperate the yeast from the bacteria on there?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #69
peck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Schlenkeria - Great stuff, I've been watching with interest.

I've been thinking of doing something similar but rather than using agar to capture the beasties, I've been thinking of doing the more traditional thing with wort and then plating the resulting growth onto an agar 'petri dish.' I think this might lower the chances of picking up undesirable microorganisms, such as mold and bacteria, and the variety of different bugs growing in your wild beer might separate out to form different colonies on the agar plate. Could be wrong though.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #70
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Freakin' SWEET. Is there anyway you can seperate the yeast from the bacteria on there?
ericd - Would you say that is bacteria or yeast or both? I was thinking it mainly yeast. It was pretty cool to collect bacteria between 34-50F.

I'm guessing that it has some brett or something for the sour/tart smell.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply