Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #601
jaapie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredkent View Post
I recently decided to try catching wild yeast based on this thread. I only had a very little amount of DME on hand, which gave me a very low OG. After 1 week though I've seen growth, and the jar smells yeasty. I'll let it sit another week, but what's the best way to help the yeast grow. Should I make a starter after the 2 weeks? It's only about a cup of wort, what size starter should I make? If I don't plan on using this yeast right away is there a way to save it? Washing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, go for it, you can move forward if it smells yeasty and seems to be fermenting. You could bump it to 2 liters, and then later go to 5 gallon or so. Adding a little bit of hops during the DME boil creates a slight anti-bacterial effect, in your 2 L. Also keeping the SG low is good for keeping the bacteria out in the beginning, but it would be good to give the yeast something to chew on so they can outcompete the rest of the bugs in there, maybe bump it to 1020-30 or so for the 2L. Rich yeast media in the lab is 1020.

For storage I would suggest putting it in an sterile (wash with boiling water, let cool) container and set it in the fridge airtight. Note, this is a live culture, so it will keep on doing its thing. Some of the yeast might be less active at this temp, and something what you dont want might be more active. dont know how long it keeps, but its probably similar to a barn for bread. Use a plastic container if you can, just so it does not pop. There is probably people here with more experience, please chime in if you read this and have a better idea.

For storage, you could also add glycerol (also called glycerin in stores) to ~25% concentration and freeze it, the glycerin keeps the cells intact by inhibiting ice crystal formation. I do this on a regular basis with pure yeast cultures, but have never done this with a mix. Should work as well.

A difference between bacteria and yeast is that yeast cells are much larger. One trick I do to quickly gage if I have no bacteria is the following,
I take a little culture out, mix it up so its a suspension, put it in a little container and set it in the fridge (say shotglass or so.) Due to the size,
the yeast will fall out faster and due to the smaller size and "swimming" the bacteria will stay much longer in suspension. if you see a clear area of liquid at the top of the glass after an hour , and whitish cells on the bottom of the glass, its a good sign (sign, not proof. Also if it does not clear it might still be good)

Hope this helps,

Jaapie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #602
leyon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,
What a thread!

I live 30KM away from Brussels. But it is more or less possible to invite Brett In your brew anywhere you are. The problem remains that you never really know what ended up in your brew.
Major issue is: I want yeasts, but no bacteria.

This is how I proceed.
In belgium, the best period to avoid infection is from october to March.
Never try this in warm weather conditions. Cold temps ans dry weather, this is key. If you want to compare teperature, it is more or less equal to NY.

Just allow your wort to cool down outside (I prefer winter nights, as the temperatures are even colder). To avoid MDS and known off flavors to develop, try to have a large surface to speed up things. One night is more than enough. Cover enough to avoid insects to dive into your wort (gaze,...).

Then, rack and be patient.
The smell is NEVER interesting in the starting phase. Well, it only gets better after months (I would say at least one year).

For best results, you need to use 50% of unmalted wheat.
you also need to use 1 year old hops (or more), stored at room temp.

Again, I would not try to bottle it before one year. And 6 months in bottle looks a minimum for a great result.

Well, you can rack in an oak barrel with cherries, but this is another story !!

I'll try next year.

have fun and treat Bretts well

Leyon

Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #603
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

@jaapie:

Major kudos on the cabbage thing. I use things like they to pique my kidlets interest in science (gambling for math heheh) so she doesn't inherit my wifes weaknesses. Would do it via phone but can't find a + in the current ui.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #604
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tried the wort in jars method and got quite a bit of mold even with Citric Acid added. I may have captured some wild yeast too, but I was too concerned about the mold I dumped them.

However, I'm doing a Berliner Weisse and I tried getting Lactobacillus from some grain (and it worked!). However, I also noticed that I was getting some fermentation in my Lacto culture ... so I split the batch into 2 carboys, and pitched the lacto/yeast starter in both. The next day (to give the lacto a head start) I added dry yeast to the one which had less activity. We'll see what turns out! The sample I had from the starter was tart and good!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #605
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I had better luck bringing the sample to 5% abv with vodka. Kept bacteria at bay and only got mold once and that was minor. I got some rough looking cells that way but the streaked healthy. I'm wondering if acid washing would kill off the mutants.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #606
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want to add that also instead of lowering the sugar content, one can up it to 30-40%. Yeasts often grow on media with sugar concentrations high enough to inhibit bacterial growth. Osmotolerant molds are however not inhibited. you could scoop the mold off, and take a little of the yeast/whatever else with a pasteur pipette and drip it in a new, sterile container containing medium, to get rid of the mold (or plate).

One should also indeed acidify a little to say pH 4.5, that enhances the selectivity.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #607
ditchbanker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whew, started reading this thread several days ago and figured I needed to end it to post.

I made 1 batch of beer, but just not my thing. I do like making cider and wine, though.

Lately I've been making cider with commercial apple juice and enjoying it. I'm going to try using that plain juice with wild yeasts because it will be easy to tell where flavors are coming from.

Several days ago, as I started reading this, I took 6 crabapples of my tree in the front yard. They all had a nice dry powder on them. I made a sugar water mix in a sanitized glass, added a pinch of nutrient and dropped in the crab apples. Covered it with aluminum foil and left it in the kitchen. If I do it again, I'll probably just use juice for my starter, but I'll see this through and find out what I end up with.

I currently have a milky cup of water with a barely sour smell and a stronger yeast odor. I do have two very tiny clear floating specks. I'll give it a while. If it looks good I'll pitch it, if it doesn't, I'll toss it. An easy aspect of my method is that I have a gallon of clean, pasteurized "wort" I bought for $5 today patiently waiting safe from contamination 'til I'm ready to pitch something.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #608
ditchbanker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, still about the same in the first sample I started. Except that I've got a small mold culture on the side of the glass. Also, no sediment in the bottom and very few bubbles if any. I'll leave it for a while and see if the yeast pick up. A couple weeks seems standard.

A couple nights ago I tossed some crab apples into apple juice. Nothing yet, except a very small dusting of something in the bottom of the glass. I'm optimistic that the acidity (and a couple extra nutrients) will make for a quicker show.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #609
HatchetJack
Recipes 

Just for kicks I am making an attempt at the moment. I microwaved/ boiled
about 6 oz of an IPA and added roughly about 12 oz of canned pineapple
juice and combined them in a sanitized powerade bottle. I left it outside
yesterday for a couple hours at about 50 degrees. Today I uncapped it
and set it outside for about an hour at 60 degrees. Who knows, maybe I
get something?

I wonder? if bread makers use flour/water/citric acid and do not have much
problems with mold or bacteria capturing their yeast if there is a chemical
reaction reason behind it and can we apply that here?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #610
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
Just for kicks I am making an attempt at the moment. I microwaved/ boiled
about 6 oz of an IPA and added roughly about 12 oz of canned pineapple
juice and combined them in a sanitized powerade bottle. I left it outside
yesterday for a couple hours at about 50 degrees. Today I uncapped it
and set it outside for about an hour at 60 degrees. Who knows, maybe I
get something?

I wonder? if bread makers use flour/water/citric acid and do not have much
problems with mold or bacteria capturing their yeast if there is a chemical
reaction reason behind it and can we apply that here?
Sure the same principles apply. I know that bakers get their sourdough yeasts in this way, but beware, a lot of those yeasts do not ferment maltose, but thrive on other sugars. If you are not using malt extract, you are basically selecting for organisms which ferment - and/or use another sugar - as carbon/energy source. I do not know the maltose levels in pineapple juice, but I can imagine it being close to zero. Sticking as close to the medium you want the organisms to be in - wort - would be the way to go in my opinion.

Quick Reply