Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #591
no_borders
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just want to say, love this thread. I'm pretty sure ive read through it three times now haha. One question i had, and maybe i just missed it along the way. I got a bunch of plates,t but is it possible for enterobacter to start a colony on there and not have it get taken over by sacc because they would all be in different colonies? i'll still be tryin the project anyways, just trying to get all the information i can, and sorry if this question has already been answered, been a crazy busy weekend down here at the brew shop. Thanks guys, will keep posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #592
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I got the impression you could separate out a lot of them by plating, replating, repeated one colony at a time til you isolate what you want and alternatively the drop division method to make arguably a pure culture given enough divisions/dilutions.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #593
no_borders
Recipes 

Figured i'd throw it out there, i'll throw up some pictures once i get something going

Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #594
no_borders
Recipes 

like many before me, i'm very good at catching mold, even with hopped extract. i dont even want to open the plates haha. have to try again

Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #595
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Alright. I'm too excited to give this a shot than to wait until I have time to go search for some agar in the Asian Market (this I plan on doing as soon as I can...I also can't wait to break out my lab coat and goggles). Plus..I recently ended up with an extra 3 quarts (or so) of wort from a batch of beer that was supposed to be 5.25g of 1.058 or so, but ended up being 6g of 1.050. Anyways, I've pulled the extra from storage in the freezer to dilute by half, and add some acid to put in jars outside.

First question: I have Citric acid powder at home (who knows how old it is...) Does anyone have any hypotheses as to how much I should add to get a pH between 3 and 4? I assume the wort is already slightly acidic, but since I'm lacking in pH paper...I'm sort of taking a stab in the dark here.

Second question: Can any of the first testers comment on reusing their wild yeast? KingBrianI had success...but did you either a. reuse the yeast or b. try the method again? That question can apply to anyone with or without success. The more details this thread records the better.

Also, has anyone saved an experimental batch of starter or small test batch which was thought to end up being terrible, but ended up delicious? The way I look at it, if you don't get mold (but get yeast and probably bacteria), you might as well go with it for a while and see how it tastes. Most bacteria are good (or at least non pathogenic) and therefore could lend some interesting characteristics to beer. Don't get me started on how silly most anti-bacterial tendencies are, but honestly (as one poster pointed out) if bad bacteria easily found its way into good tasting beer, people would have died out a long time ago.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #596
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't want to make a new thread just for this, but I thought you'd all be interested to know that I have a friend called "Brett Hoppenbrouwer". And no, I am not kidding.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #597
no_borders
Recipes 

i dont know about adjusting ph levels, but i can tell you that mold will grow in hopped wort. It was kind of cool though, i put out three plates, and grew three different types of mold. And they were all disgustingly unique in their own ways

Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #598
Glossolalia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_borders View Post
i dont know about adjusting ph levels, but i can tell you that mold will grow in hopped wort. It was kind of cool though, i put out three plates, and grew three different types of mold. And they were all disgustingly unique in their own ways
Adjusting pH definitely works. I've just isolated a collection of local microorganisms myself. When mold colonies started to appear, I carefully removed them with a sanitized toothpick and added lemon juice the wort. Fermentation continued while mold growth was inhibited.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #599
jaredkent
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I recently decided to try catching wild yeast based on this thread. I only had a very little amount of DME on hand, which gave me a very low OG. After 1 week though I've seen growth, and the jar smells yeasty. I'll let it sit another week, but what's the best way to help the yeast grow. Should I make a starter after the 2 weeks? It's only about a cup of wort, what size starter should I make? If I don't plan on using this yeast right away is there a way to save it? Washing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Primary: Rye-Influenced Pale Ale
Secondary: None
Bottled:White IPA, Three-Nipple Tripel, Kvasir Mead and Metheglin

Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #600
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A little late reply but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storunner13 View Post
First question: I have Citric acid powder at home (who knows how old it is...) Does anyone have any hypotheses as to how much I should add to get a pH between 3 and 4? I assume the wort is already slightly acidic, but since I'm lacking in pH paper...I'm sort of taking a stab in the dark here.
http://braukaiser.com/lifetype2/inde...d=138&blogId=1
and
pH Calculator | Support will sort of explain what to do with citric acid. I glanced through both websites. Depends a lot on the buffer capacity of the wort. Seems a tiny bit of citric acid should suffice to push it down. Making your own indicator with red cabbage might be an option as well, although I don't know if this is very practical..lol.
Red Cabbage pH Indicator - How to Make Red Cabbage pH Indicator

Quote:
Second question: Can any of the first testers comment on reusing their wild yeast? KingBrianI had success...but did you either a. reuse the yeast or b. try the method again? That question can apply to anyone with or without success. The more details this thread records the better.
I did reuse them. I isolated 2 wild yeasts in 2009, and kept them in slants/plates. Got 5 new ones this year and brewed with them, and brewed with the older ones, side by side. Same wort, different yeasts. Very interesting outcome. The two yeasts from 2009 were much more palatable. I am lucky, I work in a lab for a living and work with microbes...so I sequenced the strains, and the ones from 2009 were both good old Saccharomyces (although very different taste profile) and the 2011 ones were all Pichia fermentants. All much more similar to one other, but still miles different from the others.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Also, has anyone saved an experimental batch of starter or small test batch which was thought to end up being terrible, but ended up delicious? The way I look at it, if you don't get mold (but get yeast and probably bacteria), you might as well go with it for a while and see how it tastes. Most bacteria are good (or at least non pathogenic) and therefore could lend some interesting characteristics to beer. Don't get me started on how silly most anti-bacterial tendencies are, but honestly (as one poster pointed out) if bad bacteria easily found its way into good tasting beer, people would have died out a long time ago.
For wild yeast beers and spontaneous stuff, one needs to be patient. From your question I gather you mean with experimental batch a batch fermenting with a consortium of something from the sky so to speak?

True spontaneous fermentation takes a long time, and the population changes over years. Some organisms only become abundant after a year or so. See Brewing Flemish Red Ale, by Raj B. Apte Raj his fermentation graphs, colony forming units of each organism vs time.

I agree you might as well wait. It might be just a spoiled horrible batch, but it might also turn interesting and nice. You can always dump it later, if it is not in the way..

Quick Reply