Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #541
jaapie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Sick is actually a whole wort thing, not a layer on the top. It really isn't visible looking at the beer, the liquid just becomes viscous and stringy (after you take a sip you’ll get a little string that attaches from your lip to the glass). Only had it happen once, beer turn out great though.
I had the same thing, fermenting this wild yeast which was 100% pure culture (checked colonies, microscope). OG was 1070, and around 1040 I could not even rack it if I wanted to (took a little out to see what was going on). It was totally viscous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #542
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Doesn't sickness come from pedio? I'm not an expert but I recall an interview w/ Vinnie C in which he was talking about beers being sick with Belgian brewers. From what I recall, yeast wasn't the culprit, it was bacteria.

Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #543
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Ridcully123, if you don't think it's the entire wort getting sick, do you think you've got a layer of mold on the top that formed the mat? Or do you think what you're seeing is mold colonies on top of a yeast pellicle?

Either way, I think it would be interesting to dilute into fresh wort, let it grow for a while (a week or so), and repeat the dilution and growth a few times, to see if the mold goes away, and to see if the mat reappears.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #544
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
Doesn't sickness come from pedio? I'm not an expert but I recall an interview w/ Vinnie C in which he was talking about beers being sick with Belgian brewers. From what I recall, yeast wasn't the culprit, it was bacteria.
I heard that too. I have been extremely careful though and checked under the microscope to see if it was a pure culture. I also striked a couple of times.
I will check again - if there is pedio I will kick my own ass for not working as clean as I thought I was doing, and ill be happy as well.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #545
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapie

I heard that too. I have been extremely careful though and checked under the microscope to see if it was a pure culture. I also striked a couple of times.
I will check again - if there is pedio I will kick my own ass for not working as clean as I thought I was doing, and ill be happy as well.
You could only be so lucky as to have wild Brett and pedio! Of course, pedio without lacto might not be good. I think pedio on it's own throws an off flavor. Acetylaldehyde maybe? I really need to go a wild yeast beer. My wife's grandfather has a grape arbor and I'd like to dro a few grapes in some wort and cultivate it. Without a microscope I'm hesitant.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #546
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapie View Post
Yep, Pedio is the one that creates the long chains, although I got a similar (although not as pronounced) character early on in my red wine yeast Flemish Red which I attributed to the BM45. So it is possible that it is a wild yeast that is responsible if your issue is high viscosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
You could only be so lucky as to have wild Brett and pedio! Of course, pedio without lacto might not be good. I think pedio on it's own throws an off flavor. Acetylaldehyde maybe?
Pedio makes diacetyl, which is why it is often paired with Brett (which cleans it up).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #547
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
how did this turn out?
Here's what I wound up with.

It's a Franziskaner Hefe clone from Mark & Tess. Yeast character is lightly fruity with a dry finish, aroma is very lightly tropical fruits like kiwi or melon. the fruity-ness goes through the whole beer. Over all the flavor reminds me of an english ale yeast with german hefe malts. It's really drinkable, almost all gone now. The carbonation is pretty intense even though the SG was stable for two weeks before bottling. This shot is after letting it settle a bit and additional pouring.

pandas are bears

Oophaga Likes This 
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #548
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminBier View Post
Here's what I wound up with.

It's a Franziskaner Hefe clone from Mark & Tess. Yeast character is lightly fruity with a dry finish, aroma is very lightly tropical fruits like kiwi or melon. the fruity-ness goes through the whole beer. Over all the flavor reminds me of an english ale yeast with german hefe malts. It's really drinkable, almost all gone now. The carbonation is pretty intense even though the SG was stable for two weeks before bottling. This shot is after letting it settle a bit and additional pouring.

Looks beautiful and tasty.....congrats.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #549
mhenry41h
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

Yep, Pedio is the one that creates the long chains, although I got a similar (although not as pronounced) character early on in my red wine yeast Flemish Red which I attributed to the BM45. So it is possible that it is a wild yeast that is responsible if your issue is high viscosity.

Pedio makes diacetyl, which is why it is often paired with Brett (which cleans it up).
That's it! I knew Pedio needed something to clean it up. I just couldn't recall what the compound was and which critter fixes it!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #550
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Maybe this has already been answered, but is it neccessary to use DME? Unfortunately I have zero funds for that purchase, and I was wondering if I cuold use either honey or sugar. Thanks!

-Kingboomer

Quick Reply