Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #501
drummerguysteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I recently captured directly on to a plate, and selected 3 different colonies from that to grow up into starters. After a couple weeks of building them up to 1000ML, only one even had a good smell. I tasted them all, and the one tasted like a beer brewed with Notty, so I think my yeast was just in the air.
I'm using it anyway in a pale ale now, so we'll see how it goes. The rest tasted horrible!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #502
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguysteve View Post
I recently captured directly on to a plate, and selected 3 different colonies from that to grow up into starters. After a couple weeks of building them up to 1000ML, only one even had a good smell. I tasted them all, and the one tasted like a beer brewed with Notty, so I think my yeast was just in the air. I'm using it anyway in a pale ale now, so we'll see how it goes. The rest tasted horrible!
I think I more intrigued by the ones that smell horrible at first...

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #503
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Of course! I tried the horrible smelling starters, bit then they tastes horrible too.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #504
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm curious, I've been working on my 3rd and 4th generation juniper yeast, (top cropping, lagering, wheat, etc). At some point can I assume that there are no sour yeast/bacterium in it? I've not seen any evidence, with last count I've done 16 batches. If not, how can I be certain of this, outside of laboratory testing?

Edit: The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating sharing this yeast with "friends" for more help in testing, don't really want to infect anyone with something they don't want. I would think if I haven't had any infection, they wouldn't, but I know nothing of their sanitary practices, etc.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #505
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguysteve View Post
Of course! I tried the horrible smelling starters, bit then they tastes horrible too.
How long did you wait? Wild yeast can ferment very slow, and can be an indication that you have something truly "wild".

The 8 wild guys I have going tasted horrendous a month ago, and ferment very slow. Now they taste actually much better. Early smell and taste might not be a good indicator of how things turn out in the end, but I do not know when you tasted them.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #506
jaapie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
I'm curious, I've been working on my 3rd and 4th generation juniper yeast, (top cropping, lagering, wheat, etc). At some point can I assume that there are no sour yeast/bacterium in it? I've not seen any evidence, with last count I've done 16 batches. If not, how can I be certain of this, outside of laboratory testing?

Edit: The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating sharing this yeast with "friends" for more help in testing, don't really want to infect anyone with something they don't want. I would think if I haven't had any infection, they wouldn't, but I know nothing of their sanitary practices, etc.
If you did 16 batches I would say you would be safe. If you have not had any problems with bacteria all those times, and your friends all of a sudden going to have some, the problem might be on their end.

You cannot be certain what you have without doing laboratory testing, pouring plates, microscopy, plating etc. Also I do not know what laboratory testing really is, pouring plates and looking at colonies is quite basic for some, it is the same as changing oil in a car, for some people easy but for some it is hard.

You could have a nice consortium of organisms there which gives you the nice beer you like (different yeasts). If you try to isolate the single yeasts, you might end up with something different. But you might have a single yeast too. Hard to say.

Either way, tell them it is like an investment, there are some risks involved, albeit very small.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #507
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Does out side temperature matter? I live in the tropics, not the easiest place to brew. but would love to try this out.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #508
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapie View Post
How long did you wait? Wild yeast can ferment very slow, and can be an indication that you have something truly "wild".

The 8 wild guys I have going tasted horrendous a month ago, and ferment very slow. Now they taste actually much better. Early smell and taste might not be a good indicator of how things turn out in the end, but I do not know when you tasted them.
Only a couple weeks... Maybe I should have let them sit longer. I'll make a point to do that next time.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #509
ssf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

final update to this "experiment":

got around to tapping the wild patersbier keg last weekend, and took a pic of one of the first glasses. the beer has a sticky, fluffy head, slight fruit in the aroma, and a taste that is slightly earthy and phenolic with a little fruit in the finish.

as per the earlier discussion re: control vessels and harvesting locations, my sample was harvested away from where I ferment and the wort I used was boiled in the collecting flask for 10 minutes, so I have doubts that any of my previous commercial strains contributed here. that, and the yeast cake was unique in both color (white) and texture (flaky), for what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssf View Post
another update - kegged the wild patersbier on friday. had a FG of 1.007 for an abv of 5.7%. tasted a small sample, which had some tasty (non-phenolic) esters, but no funk/sourness. saved the slurry for future use. will post more pics once I tap the keg.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #510
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssf View Post

Beautiful

Quick Reply