Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #41
peck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've tried to do the open air spontaneous fermentation thing several times and my results have always been dire. So dire in fact, that I refused to even taste the result. Of course, I lived in the middle of a large city at the time and had two huge dogs and two cats. So, yeah, unsurprising. I would like to try it again though. I wonder what kind of results I would get from a juniper and pinon forest? I would be willing to bet that there is several types of yeast which live on juniper berries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #42
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Being in a relationship with someone who has animals I would say it's definately them harboring the smelly, unsavory critters. Thankfully we haven't moved in together. Have you tried it out in open air? That would probably work better, but you'll get "big city" terrior out of it.

Oh, and did you know juniper berries aren't berries at all but a pine cone that's tried to keep up with the cool kids by fusing together to look like a berry? This is a classic example of vegitative peer pressure.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #43
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well when I brewed my British Special Dark a few weeks ago I took a rather large hydrometer sample and instead of drinking it like usual, I left it in a glass in the kitchen uncovered. The next day I put aluminum foil over the top and like that it has been since. In a couple days, it had developed a bit of what looked like yeast around the edges on the top but when I smelled it, it had quite a funk. The ring of gunk has since given way to what appears to be a small kreuzen and the smell has become strongly belgian. It's all very exciting.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #44
ericd
Recipes 

That's really cool!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #45
peck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Being in a relationship with someone who has animals I would say it's definately them harboring the smelly, unsavory critters. Thankfully we haven't moved in together. Have you tried it out in open air? That would probably work better, but you'll get "big city" terrior out of it.

Oh, and did you know juniper berries aren't berries at all but a pine cone that's tried to keep up with the cool kids by fusing together to look like a berry? This is a classic example of vegitative peer pressure.
I didn't know that about the juniper berries. I'd still be willing bet that yeast live on them though. Well not too much money...

Anyway, I am going to try another open air fermentation but I'm going to do it away from the city.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #46
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It starting to get warm here in Iowa. Today is a little breezy might be good day to wing it. I'm gonna use my AGAR method where I can watch surface growth in a controlled environment.

I'm gonna take a shot at becoming a Yeast Hunter.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #47
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
It starting to get warm here in Iowa. Today is a little breezy might be good day to wing it. I'm gonna use my AGAR method where I can watch surface growth in a controlled environment.

I'm gonna take a shot at becoming a Yeast Hunter.
Take pictures if you would. It would be cool to follow along with the progress of growth on the plates.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #48
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Take pictures if you would. It would be cool to follow along with the progress of growth on the plates.
Funny that you stated this....

This strain will be appropriately called: Myeast-50327

My Yeast & Zip Code.

Collection Area & Method: Agar ajar on my deck. I'm keeping the lid in a zip lock so it stays clean.

Pictures

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #49
KingBrianI
Recipes 

That's great. I'll be looking forward to updates.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #50
ericd
Recipes 

Yeah, this is really cool. What did you mix the agar with for the culture medium? Malt extract?

Quick Reply