Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #31
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Perhaps some wise brewers here know a bit about this....

Is there any way to, say, isolate or identify a lager strain? Is there any real chance of catching one out in the wild?

I would guess that there are many many different kinds of yeast floating around out their, some of which are lager strains. Over time (maybe not very much time), one strain will dominate. So if you select for yeast that operate at cold temperatures, the yeast the survive will likely be lager yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #32
caskconditioned
Recipes 

Reading this thread reminded me of a podcast I listened from the brewing network a couple weeks ago. Chris White discusses the evolution of "brewers" yeast and states that it takes many generations for a yeast to develop many of the characteristics that we look for in brewing yeast (link to podcast).

They talk about how most wild yeast that you can brew with will be very phenolic. That may explain why some folks who have captured wild yeast say they work/taste great for a wit or Belgian style beers.

So lager strains and neutral strains (WLP 001, 1056, etc) would have taken many, many, generations to develop said characteristics???

Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #33
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskconditioned View Post
Reading this thread reminded me of a podcast I listened from the brewing network a couple weeks ago. Chris White discusses the evolution of "brewers" yeast and states that it takes many generations for a yeast to develop many of the characteristics that we look for in brewing yeast (link to podcast).

They talk about how most wild yeast that you can brew with will be very phenolic. That may explain why some folks who have captured wild yeast say they work/taste great for a wit or Belgian style beers.

So lager strains and neutral strains (WLP 001, 1056, etc) would have taken many, many, generations to develop said characteristics???
Yeah, I know when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for a couple days after I use it the spent grain in it starts to smell like bandaids (chlorophenols!)

It's all about experimenting and coming up with the style that suits what you captured the best! Remember, wild beers don't have to be sour or bretty! You can just capture wild cervesomyces if you close it off after you've got it!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #34
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Been thinking about this one...
If I leave wort on covered front porch should I cover with cheese cloth or pantyhose to keep any bigger real bugs out. I rent my house and the windows don't open (painted shut dang air conditioner dependent southern culture!) so I can't use window sill method.

Like I said I live in the south, spring time the Palmetto Bugs come out. (nice way to say big FLYING cockroaches- big shock when I moved down here... THEY FLY) would like to keep as many for these and other nasty critters out as possible, but still get a good culture...

thoughts?

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
ericd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
Been thinking about this one...
If I leave wort on covered front porch should I cover with cheese cloth or pantyhose to keep any bigger real bugs out. I rent my house and the windows don't open (painted shut dang air conditioner dependent southern culture!) so I can't use window sill method.

Like I said I live in the south, spring time the Palmetto Bugs come out. (nice way to say big FLYING cockroaches- big shock when I moved down here... THEY FLY) would like to keep as many for these and other nasty critters out as possible, but still get a good culture...

thoughts?
Yeah it should work, I don't see why not. Remember the timeframe for the different critters and leave it somewhere that the air smells nice.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #36
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here are a couple of good threads from last year or so ont he topic. Unfortunately Landhoney has been MIA for quite a while....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/ambient-spontaneous-fermentation-43888/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/your-hometown-ambient-yeast-51727/

Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #37
redear
Recipes 

Stickie? I would bet this would be a rather useful thing to have at the top of the forum...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #38
ericd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redear View Post
Stickie? I would bet this would be a rather useful thing to have at the top of the forum...
As topic starter, I agree!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redear View Post
As someone who thinks this thread is the tits, I also agree!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #40
ericd
Recipes 

Come on mods, how about it? This thread had almost 2000 hits!

Quick Reply