*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #191
ericd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What about acid blend?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #192
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
What about acid blend?
That too.........

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 05-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #193
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What type of agar are you using - for those using agar. I know there is potato starch agar that is supposed to be really good for growing yeast, but was wondering your preference. Not sure the difference from other agar. Wonder if it is the pH or something else in the grow medium.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #194
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
What type of agar are you using - for those using agar. I know there is potato starch agar that is supposed to be really good for growing yeast, but was wondering your preference. Not sure the difference from other agar. Wonder if it is the pH or something else in the grow medium.

I just used agar that I got from a Chinese grocery store. Its not the powdered type, its the stringy stuff.

Package says "agar-agar"

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #195
9/9
Collembola!

Recipes 

Update: My starter seemed to go pretty much like other starters I have done (though I haven't done many). There was a small krausen on top, but at this point it is just still on top and a layer of sediment on the bottom.

With a normal starter, I would be pitching now. With this, is it okay to just leave the starter be for a while? I assume I don't need to feed it or anything?

I don't have much experience with liquid yeast, so sorry if the questions seem basic. I look forward to seeing if this actually works with a test batch soon!

Primary: empty
Secondary: AHB Dry Mead (17)
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein (15), Vienna - Cascade SMaSH (19)
Drinking:MO-Amarillo SMaSH (14), BierMucher's Black Pearl Porter (13), Munich-NB SMaSH (16), Lemon Summer Blonde (18)
Planning: Belgian Brown (20)

Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #196
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

9/9: There is a whole timing thing. I don't have the charts in front of me, but they have been explained on the forum repeatedly - I think even in this thread - and are available elsewhere on the net. The period of time helps determine which beasty is in your starter. And, the answer on the time should help you know how long you can leave it, what you have to feed it, etc. I am fairly certain there is another beasty after the yeast stage, but I do not recall what it is.

One option, if it is to the yeast stage, is to pour it off, filter it, and create test tube cultures for refinement and later usage.

Otherwise, my understanding is you can let it go as long as 8 days, but you may have to refeed it before you pitch it.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #197
9/9
Collembola!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
9/9: There is a whole timing thing. I don't have the charts in front of me, but they have been explained on the forum repeatedly - I think even in this thread - and are available elsewhere on the net. The period of time helps determine which beasty is in your starter. And, the answer on the time should help you know how long you can leave it, what you have to feed it, etc. I am fairly certain there is another beasty after the yeast stage, but I do not recall what it is.

One option, if it is to the yeast stage, is to pour it off, filter it, and create test tube cultures for refinement and later usage.

Otherwise, my understanding is you can let it go as long as 8 days, but you may have to refeed it before you pitch it.
Maztec: Thanks, but I guess I just need to read up more on yeast washing and the like. Clearly people keep yeast for a lot longer than 8 days. But, I guess I don't know what those people do.

Off to put the search function to good use, I suppose.

Primary: empty
Secondary: AHB Dry Mead (17)
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein (15), Vienna - Cascade SMaSH (19)
Drinking:MO-Amarillo SMaSH (14), BierMucher's Black Pearl Porter (13), Munich-NB SMaSH (16), Lemon Summer Blonde (18)
Planning: Belgian Brown (20)

Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #198
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

9/9: I think at the very beginning of this thread there was someone who posted a link to a site that had a lot of information on yeast and yeast washing and what to do with it. I recommend looking back for that. I could swear it is in the first four pages...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #199
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Clearly people keep yeast for a lot longer than 8 days. But, I guess I don't know what those people do.
If I've understood this correctly, I think there's a slight difference between what you're doing, compared to the majority of yeast wranglers. They generally have a single strain of yeast, such as the stuff you can buy from your LHBS, which can be kept for weeks (or even longer) and it'll still be viable. If the yeast have eaten all the sugar available, then they'll eventually go dormant, until they're roused at a future date. But what's different in your case is that no-one really knows what yeasts and bacteria you have in your little sample, and in all probability you have multiple different kinds of tiny beast in there. So if some beer-friendly yeast in your sample eats up all the available sugar, then when they go dormant, they may then be out-competed by another strain of microbe that can eat the unfermentable sugar left behind. So in short, the most active strain of tiny creature in your wild sample can change according to how long you wait, and if you wait for a long time, you may not end up with a beer-friendly yeast.

That's what I think happens, anyway, based on my reading of this thread. Hopefully if that's wrong someone will be along to set me right

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #200
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

From the very first post in this thread:

Quote:
How long you leave it out will affect what you get. If you use it right after you first start seeing signs of life (2 weeks) you will just get wild yeast. Leave it out longer and you will get other things in it. This is what happens (from Lambic by Guinard):

(3 to 7 days) Enteric Bacteria and Kloeckera Apiculata
(2 weeks) Saccharomyces
(3 to 4 months) Lactic Acid Bacteria
(8 months) Brettanomyces plus Pichia, Candida, Hansenula and Cryptococcus
That should answer how long you can leave something sitting around.

Quick Reply