Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Howto: Capture Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #161
killsurfcity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
I'd try your yeast in a small batch. Try something that is 4-6% abv and hopped about 16 IBUs or less. Bittering only like 60 min.

I did mine in a wheat at 15 IBUs.

The reason I say that is you can isolate aroma and flavor created by the yeast.

Use it in the primary by itself.
thanks, i was thinking of trying it in a bavarian hefe. would that fit the bill? or a wit maybe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #162
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
This thread is awesome. I'm really pleased that the wild beer looks like it's turning out so well. I hope you don't mind a really douchy and irrelevant comment though - "ressort" means spring as in a coil of metal - "flowers of Spring" would be "Fleurs du Printemps" (though only a real pedant would give a crap anyway ). Regardless of name, it's a really inspiring brew. Thanks for taking the time to share techniques.
Thanks - I was curious about the word ressort. The web-translator gave me several to select from. Ressort sounded better. I was looking at my Farmhouse ale book last night and saw something like "Fantome Printemps" and was thinking my guess was wrong. Thanks for the confirmation.

I can't wait until I get this bottled carbonated.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #163
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsurfcity View Post
thanks, i was thinking of trying it in a bavarian hefe. would that fit the bill? or a wit maybe?
Yes - I think either one would be great. You might have an ale or lager yeast, possibly something else, but at least this way you will know what the yeast character brings to the beer.

Both wheat styles are balanced beers and seem to be a good choice IMHO.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #164
killsurfcity
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

thanks! i think i will try the wit. i will report my findings here.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #165
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Enjoyable thread. I have been thinking of doing a wild yeast for some time. The possibility of doing wild yeast brews is what got me started making beer. I admit, I am only on my second batch [now in the primary fermenter and going crazy]. It is good to see other peoples experiments.

I have been thinking about alternative wild yeast sources. A few people mentioned fruit skins and flowers. Both are good ideas. When I was young my family brewed wine from the grape skin yeasts. However, I have no recollection of how that actually turned out.

Has anyone here actually tried capturing yeast for beer from fruit skins or flowers or something else? I was thinking of going what may be the obvious route and trying to capture wild yeast from fresh grains or fresh hops. I think the character that could be had from either would be interesting. What are other peoples thoughts on doing this? Any idea if fresh hops would even have a wild yeast strain on them?

Keep up the grand experiment Schlenkerla & everyone else.

- M

Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #166
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd try fruit grown organicanically in your area. Fungicides on the skin would kill the yeast. I'd try just letting it sit in a closed, sterilized jar of wort and seeing what happens.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #167
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I wonder if you captured wild yeast, pitched it in wort in a conical and then harvested the yeast that fell out after the first few days if you could select for a more flocculent yeast.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #168
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I wonder if you captured wild yeast, pitched it in wort in a conical and then harvested the yeast that fell out after the first few days if you could select for a more flocculent yeast.
I think you could. I pulled this from the primary.

Its alot of fricken yeast. ~1/2 gallon. This sucker had 1-1.25" yeast cake in a 5 gal primary. I did this Sunday and its starting to settle out.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #169
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just tasted mine. Very estery, just like a good abbey beer or something. Tasted kind of like it smelled but much more subdued. Slight tang but nothing over the top. I have no idea whether the tartness will continue developing or not. Slight brett funk. This beer will be much better well carbed and chilled slightly. Oh, and aged another few months too! It's very clear, although you can see a few chunks I knocked loose while taking the sample. I think I'll go ahead and bottle tonight and let them start bottle conditioning. I'll probably include one in each of my 999 shipments.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #170
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Just tasted mine. Very estery, just like a good abbey beer or something. Tasted kind of like it smelled but much more subdued. Slight tang but nothing over the top. I have no idea whether the tartness will continue developing or not. Slight brett funk. This beer will be much better well carbed and chilled slightly. Oh, and aged another few months too! It's very clear, although you can see a few chunks I knocked loose while taking the sample. I think I'll go ahead and bottle tonight and let them start bottle conditioning. I'll probably include one in each of my 999 shipments.

That Really Looks Awesome. What did you use for a recipe?

Did I miss that post?

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply