Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > How to enjoy a sour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
maskednegator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think something that might help you is to take something on the softer side (like Bruery's Berlinner weisse or maybe Duchesse) to follow up a glass of something sweet and heavy, like an old ale, RIS or barleywine.
One of the things that I absolutely love about sour beers is how the dryness and tartness are so palate-cleansing. They pair amazingly with a wide bearth of food for this reason. Try pairing one with a thick beef stew, or a flat iron steak with potatoes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've enjoyed Flemish reds and browns. I've had regular Rodebach and enjoyed it, never had the Grand Cru, but will try it at some point. I've had a couple of really sour beers that I just didn't care for. I'm trying to track down Cantillon at the moment, but am also aware that I may try it and not like it. At the BN Winter Beer Festival, Odanata had a beer called Rosa. People were raving about it. The only thing I could think to say was, "Boy, this sure is sour!" That being said, it didn't taste bad necessarily, just more sour than I would normally enjoy.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
KFH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Maybe your taste buds just don't dig the sour. We're not all the same when it comes to tasting. Something to with the various taste receptors and their numbers and distribution on your tongue. Ol factory receptors follow the same rules.
+1

I really can't stand most bitter flavors. The first time I tried an IPA my tongue felt like it had been sexually violated by a pine cone.

Infernal Brewing

Old 07-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts

Speaking of sours...

One of our local pubs has Russian River Consecration on tap right now.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Have you tried anything from Jolly Pumpkin? Personally I thought Luciernaga was not very sour at all, although I very much enjoyed Cantillon's Classic Geuze so my perception of sour is different than yours. Oro de Calabaza was a step up in tartness from Luciernaga, but less so than the Cantillon, but was an excellent beer. I haven't tried a beer from JP that I didn't like.

Otherwise, do you know the vintage of the beers you're trying? They are supposed to get more sour as they get older, so trying a newer vintage may help for you. I've heard that the west coast has been getting some 2010 Cantillon lately.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Speaking of sours...

One of our local pubs has Russian River Consecration on tap right now.
Speaking of that...

You suck.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
Oro de Calabaza was a step up in tartness from Luciernaga, but less so than the Cantillon, but was an excellent beer.
I really enjoyed the Oro de Calabaza.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
ballzac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Have you tried anything from Jolly Pumpkin?
No I haven't. Not sure if they'd be available in my area, and a quick search on my locals show up nothing.

Quote:
Otherwise, do you know the vintage of the beers you're trying? They are supposed to get more sour as they get older, so trying a newer vintage may help for you. I've heard that the west coast has been getting some 2010 Cantillon lately.
I have thought about this. I guess it's just another element to play with, leaving me with plenty of sour beers out there to try. I may never like the really sour ones, but I'm going to have fun trying.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #19
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
Speaking of that...

You suck.
i second that.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #20
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

One of my local pubs has Consecration, Temptation, and Supplication on draft and in bottles... in fact, I think I'll take a walk. Ok, I suck.

Quick Reply