Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > How does everybody cellar their 100% brett fermented beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
dsuarez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How does everybody cellar their 100% brett fermented beer?

Should I secondary my 100 percent brett c. fermented beer just like I would with a normal ale, or would I get some beneficial flavor development by aging on the lees in the carboy?

Also, will I get significant flavor development if I rack a conventional ale onto these brett c. lees after I package up the 100 percent brett fermented ale? Or would the slurry be too large for aging a beer on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
wetherel
Recipes 

I don't think Brett C eats long chain sugars slowly to superattenuate a beer and add complexity. I have a few different versions of Brett C beers aging for 8 months or so in carboys, which I'm thinking I shoul have just bottled after a month. There's no autolysis notes. One of them I added maltodextrin, which the Brett c didn't eat, and left the beer sweeter and thicker than I would have liked. The other Brett are better for longer term aging, and attenuation. Brett c is still awesome, but I would put it somewhere between saccharomyces and lactobacillus in it's fermenting properties. My next Brett c beer will be fast and furious, and bottled in 3 weeks or so. As a side note, I bottled a Brett lambicus + lacto at 1.008 after 3 weeks in carboy. After 5 weeks in the bottle it's still at 1.008, so no bottle bomb fears yet on that one either. I still don't know what causes Brett to long term superattenuate, but I'm starting to guess it has to do with enzymes produced by pediococcus.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
but I'm starting to guess it has to do with enzymes produced by pediococcus.
I think you hit that on the head, although I also believe that brett in combination with any other bug will attenuate a bit more than brett on its own, most of all with pedio, then sacch

when you get a community of bugs working on a substrate (maltose etc) they can actually specialize in what they do, and may change their pattern of metabolism than if they were a pure culture, then doing this they and can work together to produce different compounds that will be utilized by the different bugs in a chain, which in the end helps all involved

Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
pipapat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i was going to ask this question but you beat me.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I think you hit that on the head, although I also believe that brett in combination with any other bug will attenuate a bit more than brett on its own, most of all with pedio, then sacch
Brett eats a lot of the byproducts of pedio.

Quick Reply