Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > how to best use my stored brett starter (pix)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Default how to best use my stored brett starter (pix)

a few months ago i made a starter with a vial of WLP650 (brett B). i let is run for 7 or 8 days, poured some into the secondary of 2 different brews and kept a quart of the leftover starter. i put a piece of aluminum foil tightly over the quart jar, secured it in place with a tight elastic band, and it's been sitting in my cellar for 2 or 3 months. pix of the jar included below. note that there is likely a pellicle under there, and some weird growths down from the surface/pellicle. pretty cool in my opinion.

i now want to add brett to another batch. what's the best way to do this? just pour off some of the liquid? should i avoid the pellicle? do i need to rouse the yeast from the bottom of the jar (see last photo)?

p1040714.jpg   p1040715.jpg   p1040713.jpg  

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 15

well, you would have a hard time pouring off the fermented wort, so adding it to a larger vessle with some fresh wort would be the best thing?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
well, you would have a hard time pouring off the fermented wort, so adding it to a larger vessle with some fresh wort would be the best thing?
my thinking and/or hope is that there is still plenty of brett in suspension in the liquid, so i would only need to pour some of the liquid into my new batch to get brett in there. i'm not too worried about how much gets pitched, the brett will work its magic in a wide range of cell count (yes, i know, a lower pitch will have a greater effect but take longer).

i guess i'm asking for confirmation or opinions on the fact that brett is floating about in the liquid and isn't just in the cake at the bottom.

eff it, i think i'll just plunge a wine thief in there, pierce the pellicle, try picking up some of the stuff at the bottom of the jar, then top it up with some fresh malto-heavy wort.

Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours

Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

slightly off topic, but that looks more like a kombucha scoby than any brett pellicle i've seen

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
slightly off topic, but that looks more like a kombucha scoby than any brett pellicle i've seen
good point, hadn't thought of that. it's possible that an assortment of nasties got in there (maybe when it was on the stir-plate?) and have set up their own colony.

i'll taste of the liquid before adding any to my new batch. in a worse case i might need to order some new brett. or maybe i'll have my own house blend of bugs! (although it might be too early to properly assess what their impact/flavor is)

Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Could be, looks pretty similar, no?

forumrunner_20130206_123850.jpg

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Could be, looks pretty similar, no?
quite similar. the growth in your pic is smoother and more solid, whereas mine is more dusty/bubbly/powdery. it falls apart pretty easily, just knocking the jar a little made a bunch of little chunks fall off the "main growth" and slowly float to the bottom. you can see the floaties in the pic. this is why i took the picture in my dark cellar with a flashlight instead of moving it to somewhere with better light.

is your pic from kombucha?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
quite similar. the growth in your pic is smoother and more solid, whereas mine is more dusty/bubbly/powdery. it falls apart pretty easily, just knocking the jar a little made a bunch of little chunks fall off the "main growth" and slowly float to the bottom. you can see the floaties in the pic. this is why i took the picture in my dark cellar with a flashlight instead of moving it to somewhere with better light.

is your pic from kombucha?
Interesting, looks like you may just have a slowly descending pellicle.

My pic is from kombucha and the scoby is quite firm (consistency of beef tendon in pho, if you are familiar).

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

i'm familiar with the consistency of kombucha mother, SWMBO has had one in the fridge for 2 years now.

i'll have a better idea of its consistency and appearance when i move the jar to somewhere better lit, and peel back the foil. i'll give the liquid a taste, and if it's decent i'll add some to the new batch i want to funk up.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I'd swirl up the starter and add some to your beer. Then take some of you beer and add it to the starter to feed the brett.

Quick Reply