HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > hops - how old is old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
JimC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I oven aged some hops for a lambic, tasted it ~ 1 month ago to see if I had vinegar...

sour - absolutely zero hop presence.. and I baked and use 8oz of 1 year old, home grown centenial - yes, centenial - in 10 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does anyone have old hops they'de be willing to trade/sell? When you add the wort to the fermentor,pitch the microbes, do you plug the fermentor with a capper and airlock? What do you all think abotu jamil's recipe for a Lambic in his book Brweing Classic Styles? I woudl like to brew a replicate of Peche lambic by Lindermans. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
DanZarrella
Recipes 

I have a few OZ of 2006 first gold hops if you're interested. They smell sorta cheesey.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dan,

I am interested in them. What would you want in return? Fresh hops of which I have Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Cascade, Willamette, Vangaurd, Crystal, I may have another but can't recall and all are vacu-sealed and stored in the freezer until use. Money? Let me know.

Thanks!
John

Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You don't necessarily need to use aged hops either. Try Cantillon Iris sometime. The hop presence in that beer is different from most traditional lambic, but very delicious!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I had a rant typed out, but then I re-read the thread and realized that perhaps a key point hasn't been explicitly spelled out.

Great Truths for Hops & Lambics:
1) Lambic-style beers generally do not exhibit much bitterness.
2) Hops have antiseptic properties that inhibit lactobacillus (and other unwanted microbe) growth.
3) Lambic brewers who were using spontaneous fermentations found that using lots of old hops boiled for a LONG time did a good job of inhibiting lactobacillus growth without contributing much bitterness or flavor. (I can't find a reference now, but I think they typically use like 3-5oz of aged hops per 5 gallons and boiled for up to 6 hours)

Great Truths for Homebrewed pLambics:
1) You're probably going to use a commercial culture inoculation, not a spontaneous ferment.
2) Since you're using a "controlled" fermentation (not a spontaneous one), you don't really need the same antiseptic properties from the hops. WYeast and WL have done this work for you already by preferentially selecting the relative population sizes of the microbes in the blends.

So, you have basic 3 options:
1) Use some crappy old hops that you've got laying around (lambics are a good use for your old hops).
2) Go to extreme lengths to obtain or artificially create lots of aged hops.
3) Just use an oz of low alpha-acid hops boiled for 60-90 minutes.

For my money and time, I'm going with option 1 or 3 and leaving option 2 for someone else. I personally think there are far more important variables in pLambic production worthy of effort than the hops.

Quick Reply